A beginner's story, dilemma, and question (cry for help). Bought a beautiful 260g that was full, now has leak after professional move. What do I do?

If your tank (260g) was full when you bought it, but leaked after a hired pro moved it...

• Cut your losses. I'd never trust that tank. Sell everything to try to recoup.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Don't pay him another dime. He did not fulfill the agreement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pay him the $900. He put in way more effort than that but he should share the loss.

• Let him reseal it. I would trust a resealed tank. Pay him no more than $900 total.

• Let him reseal it. I would trust a resealed tank. Pay him $1500-$2000 total.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Resealed tanks are a ticking time bomb. It's too tall to do it right anyway. Run.

• I've had a resealed tank for XX years. No problem!

• I've had a resealed tank and it leaked again.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dbugg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Long story- but I'm a details guy. I need some help from the community!)

I recently bought a house with an alcove under the stairs that was perfect for a nice big reef tank, and a built-in look. I've always wanted one. I was researching for weeks looking to get into the hobby, and find the perfect sized tank and stand. I was searching second-hand sites almost daily. So about a month ago, I finally found a beautiful custom-built tank the same day a frustrated divorcee posted on offer-up. The price was really good considering the quality of the furniture surrounding the tank, and in the pics the tank was loaded with established live rock, a few corals, and had a couple of big fish. I contacted her right away trying not to sound eager. I asked her to confirm the measurements, and it was almost perfect. (I have literally 2 inches of space on the sides and it recessed almost flush into the alcove.) The tank was listed at $1500 with everything included- sump with a good skimmer, expensive (but aging) lighting, RODI equipment, etc. She said it was "his" and she really just wanted it gone. Bingo.

I hung up with her and started calling LFSs to try to find movers to figure a total cost to get setup in my house. As a newbie, I wanted pros, or at least non-newbies. And it's a beast. One of the guys I called ran a mostly solo maintenance business. We chatted and I got a good feeling about him. He said he could meet me at the seller's house later that afternoon when I went to take a look. I told him I thought it was about 180g because the seller didn't know. He warned me that he didn't do any move for under $500, but that he could give a better estimate after we met. Fair enough.

I asked the seller's permission to bring a fish guy. All set.

The house - custom, not quite grand, but upper-upper-middle class - was beautiful, and the tank was no exception (it's twice as good as the picture). She said they paid a master carpenter $5K to build out the tank's maple furniture about 12years ago when they got the tank... and that was completely believable. The woodwork was exceptional. As a DIY guy who's done some (mediocre) finish carpentry, I was super impressed. The tank was a little neglected with hair algae over a lot of the rock, but there was good flow, the clown and fox face (both 5", mature) looked okay, there were a few thriving corals... the skimmer was skimming, etc. (I was ready to buy!) ...The fish guy shows up 20 minutes late, just as it was starting to get awkward. My initial impression in-person matched that of the phone call. Very knowledgeable, personable, and a no non-sense guy. He looks like he's worked hard at this job his whole life. He looks like the kind of guy you'd want helping you move anything, he sounds like the kind of guy anybody could have a beer with. He's smart, but you can tell he does hard work. My kind of guy.

He warned me that I would spend hours scrubbing hair algae with a toothbrush (it was days, but I didn't hate it), and that he wasn't doing it. He kind of gives me the side eye and says "that tank is was way more than 180g." (After some quick measurements of just the tank - not "will it fit perfectly in my house spot" - he says "260 gallons".)

"All the more room for my wonderful livestock plans", I thought.

He confirmed the tank and the furniture was well done, the glass was in great shape, super thick with almost no scratches, and the equipment was solid. He's been in the business over 20 years in the same area. He has a double major in wildlife management and something or another fish-like, and he lights up when I ask questions - explaining everything that has to do with reef biology or chemistry in a way that shows he has true passion for at least that part of his occupation.

I thank her for showing me the tank, and my soon-to-be-hired fish guy and I walk out together. We chat in the driveway and he says it's a big move, but he could do it for $1000. I ask if that's the best he can do, and he says he might do it for $900. The triangle formed by my house, the seller's house, and the fish guy's house (let's call him John) is an equilateral triangle with less than 15-minute sides. I ask him about the value of the tank. He says he's done a ton of deals in the business, and when I finally ask, "If it was your set up, what's the minimum you would take?", he says, "I wouldn't take less than $2K... what's she asking?"

"I'd rather not say right now, but if I pull the trigger you're hired for the move," I said too smugly. I contacted the seller, complained about the cost of the move, and she was happy to make a deal at $1K. I thought about how lucky I was to catch the ad on the first day! I patted myself on the back for being such a thrifty deal-finder! I was PUMPED!

The move day comes, scheduled for 8am, and John and his assistant get started, in my absence, at the seller's house, late. (John is a good guy, but he's like 0-10 on punctuality). He keeps me apprised through the lunchtime- I wasn't expecting to hear much anyway. Then it got later. And later. I still wasn't worried. It got to be about 4pm, and he called and informed me that removing the furniture from the tank and the wall was more difficult than he planned and that obviously things are delayed.

I still wasn't worried. Then it was a couple hours later.

He called and said the tank furniture was actually attached to the other house woodwork/framing/wainscotting/whatever and they're trying to remove the stand "without damaging this beautiful wood".

He calls back about 8pm. He explains that the seller actually contacted the master carpenter, who is now present at the site - the seller and carpenter became friends over the years - and the carpenter is trying to remember back 12 years ago how he built-in the tank stand to help them get the last stubborn tank-to-wall pieces removed without damaging/cutting the stand. John tactfully explains that this job has outgrown his expectations, and that although his quote still stands, if I was understanding, could I consider their now-12-hour day in the payment for services rendered. He needed to pay his assistant for his time, etc.

"Absolutely. I will take care of you. I believe in paying people fairly for their work," I said.

"But what is 'fairly'?" I thought. "Okay, $1200 is probably right."

He asked if they can't get it out soon, would it be okay to cut it out. Sure, it will be hidden in the alcove anyway. The last screws came out while we were on the phone. "See you soon," said John.

He dropped everything off late, and I agreed that the garage was fine for the night and we would set it up in the next couple of days. He asked for at least half of the quoted price so he could pay his assistant.

"No problem. I'm Zelling you $450 now," I said.

He explained that his assistant (longtime friend) had a real job and wouldn't be able to help move in the tank from the garage.

"No problem, I can help," I said.

"Are you sure, this tank is heavier than it looks?"

"Pfft. Yeah, I'm sure," I said.

I've never lifted anything heavier in my life, that wasn't a deadlift or in a squat rack. This is thick glass.

Days later, after both fish died in a Home Depot bucket with a rock and a bubbler, after days of scrubbing rock with a toothbrush, thinking "should these other things stay or get scrubbed?" and "I don't know the difference between a pest and a keeper thingy", after doing water changes in trash cans for the rock, after he replumbs everything... it's time! Time to fill the tank! Time to check the new plumbing! Time to do my aquascape... cycle... FISH AND CORAL!

I get the text while at work. "The plumbing is solid - no leaks. But we have an issue. Call me."

It was a leak at the bottom, between the overflow and the back of the tank. It is a leak at the bottom, between the overflow and the back of the tank. While the tank and stand were in my garage I wiped down the wood and the tank with damp cloth of water/vinegar, proud of my new purchase and excited to start the hobby. The stand was bone dry. The leak happened during the move.

The tank is tall. The overflow is narrow. Reaching the bottom of the overflow without a 2" wide, 4' long arm is impossible. He explained that to do it right meant stripping all the silicone and resealing everything... but he also recommended trying to just put a bunch of silicone down there, and hoping it held. We tried it. Let it cure for a week.

Failed right away.

He recommended more silicone on top of that silicone. He jammed two more whole tubes of silicone down at the bottom of the overflow with a stick and a towel taped to the end. We waited another week for it to cure.

Yesterday before he was on his way over to retest the overflow leak, I couldn't stand the suspense. I poured a half a glass of water down the overflow - which I watched seep out the back of the tank. I texted him and said don't bother, "we might as well have put bubble gum down there"... "silicone on silicone was never gonna seal" ... something like "even if the leak stopped would you put this patched tank in your house with 260 gallons? If not, don't recommend that to me."

I was frustrated. The relationship is strained now. I respect him, and I don't think he's taking advantage of me, but I don't want to risk flooding the house after a patch holds for a couple of weeks, then breaks loose after investing more time and effort in an aquascape, cycling, fish, coral, etc. He was adamant that he told me in the beginning of the leak that the right thing to do was to strip all the silicone, etc. But now I feel like I paid a lot of money for 1000lbs of junk in my house. "Nobody reseals these big tanks," I thought. "I've got a fancy terrarium/reptile tank/eye sore now."

I'm tired of typing and you're probably tired of reading - if you even got this far. So he just now texted that he's trying to do the right thing. He doesn't want to walk away from the job unfinished. I believe him. He has spent a lot of time on this project that he didn't expect to. I've only paid him $450, but at the same time, the agreement was full flowing tank there to full flowing tank here. Two expensive-ish (?) fish are lost. The few corals died within days too. I've done full water changes 4 times for the rock, bought new filters for the RODI, etc. It was supposed to be a one-day move. I think the whole thing was going to be a great deal, but it's still a lot of money for me. I wouldn't get into this hobby at full price. I don't do anything at full price.

I haven't mentioned it yet but I asked him to fill the rest of tank to make sure the overflow was the only leak. Only the overflow box is leaking - out of the back of the bottom seal.

Tonight he said he recommends letting him take the tank back to his garage for a full reseal. He didn't mention cost. Before today, he's tactfully mentioned hoping to still be paid for his time and effort. I don't want to stiff anybody. I don't want to get stiffed.

What would you do??

IMG_20230802_074012.jpg IMG_20230802_074550_01.jpg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also vote keep and reseal. You've come so far already. It is now time to gut it out and finish the race. Fish wait for you at the end :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
D

dbugg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote other: Terrarium.

I don't see how you sell a non-functional tank, so "selling it and cutting your losses" equates to basically recouping the cost of re-sealing and moving it (maybe).
If I keep it without resealing, I'd probably join a snake forum. It's not for me though. The more I learn about reefing, the more I want to learn about reefing. It's really perfect for a guy like me.

I could probably sell the skimmer, lighting, live rock, RODI system and make back some. I could also sell back the tank and stand as a reptile tank or terrarium. But then... I'd probably be back to looking for a deal like this one for another reef tank.

OP
OP
D

dbugg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to the story. John texted me his plan that I'm mulling over today: "I'd bring it to my garage. In order to access the bottom of the box, I'd have to cut an access hole in the overflow box near the bottom. It's acrylic, so I can patch and cover any hole I cut. With an access hole, I can get into the bottom of the overflow, cut out all of the silicone and reseal it."

I'm worried that this is still a patch job in the bottom of the overflow box. From what I've read and seen on the internet, if you remove any silicone, you remove all of the silicone... As in he should reseal the whole thing right? He's been in the business a long time. I'm thinking of letting him do whatever he wants, but only paying him fully after the tank has no leak in my house for a period of time, like two weeks. If it leaks, or he can't fix it, I take back the tank and give him the original $900. If the tank holds, I pay him $1500 total? Does that make sense? Is that fair?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming its leaking from the bulkheads in the overflow? If that's the case it could be a easy as can be fix; meaning new bulkheads as the ones in place were prolly 12+- years old, thus junk the moment they were touched.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to the story. John texted me his plan that I'm mulling over today: "I'd bring it to my garage. In order to access the bottom of the box, I'd have to cut an access hole in the overflow box near the bottom. It's acrylic, so I can patch and cover any hole I cut. With an access hole, I can get into the bottom of the overflow, cut out all of the silicone and reseal it."

I'm worried that this is still a patch job in the bottom of the overflow box. From what I've read and seen on the internet, if you remove any silicone, you remove all of the silicone... As in he should reseal the whole thing right? He's been in the business a long time. I'm thinking of letting him do whatever he wants, but only paying him fully after the tank has no leak in my house for a period of time, like two weeks. If it leaks, or he can't fix it, I take back the tank and give him the original $900. If the tank holds, I pay him $1500 total? Does that make sense? Is that fair?
Get photos of where the leak is!! You have plenty of industry experts on this forum to point you in the right direction (I'm not one just a long time reefer with a lot of hard knock experience).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming its leaking from the bulkheads in the overflow? If that's the case it could be a easy as can be fix; meaning new bulkheads as the ones in place were prolly 12+- years old, thus junk the moment they were touched.
^ Totally agree with this. Without seeing where the leak is originating from we're all just guessing at this point. But if it's leaking from the bulkhead(s) that's a relatively easy fix to replace them once you can gain access.

This being the case it would be a lot easier fixing in-place than transporting back and forth.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would remove the overflows, reseal the whole tank and then install the overflows. Buy once, cry once. If John is not up to the task, maybe someone else in the area has experience.
John should get paid, he did the work. It is unfortunate that the glass shifted causing a leak. Could have been worse if it blew out in the middle of night while you were on vacation and had no cell service.
I was helping a guy, don’t worry we got this. Slid the tank in the truck and crrraacckkk!.. Turns out he was happier in the end, as he found a bigger tank to fit the custom stand. Hopefully once everything is sorted out, everyone will be happy and you will look into a beautiful reef.

OP
OP
D

dbugg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get photos of where the leak is!! You have plenty of industry experts on this forum to point you in the right direction (I'm not one just a long time reefer with a lot of hard knock experience).
Pics attached. The leak is not from the bulkheads. I described the leak in the story but this might be better: only the overflow leaks when filled, the rest of the tank was tested (overflows were empty) and it was fine. The leak is at the back of the tank at the very bottom when only the over flow is filled. As you can see from the pics, the overflow has three sides. Actually after I typed all that out... the leaking seam must be actually the back main glass? It just happens to be contained in the width of the overflow?

Attachments

• 20230901_163228.jpg
    20230901_163228.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230901_163236.jpg
    20230901_163236.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230901_163244.jpg
    20230901_163244.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230901_163347.jpg
    20230901_163347.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230901_163358.jpg
    20230901_163358.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230901_164338.jpg
    20230901_164338.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230901_164419.jpg
    20230901_164419.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230901_164428.jpg
    20230901_164428.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 82

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crummy leak after seeing it. If its leaking out of the display @ the overflow area on the bottom where the vinyl is peeled off, that entire back pane is compromised. That's a bit bigger of a repair job... You would want a proper tank reseal with that age of display.

I've been through two tank reseals over the years, both have held up: one just over a year (warranty) and the other 10+ years. It can be a roll of the dice, but in both cases it worked.

If it was me, I'd be worried about piece of mind. Depending on the tank dimensions: custom I'd reseal, standard 'off the rack' dimensions I'd prolly buy another if I didnt want to have a heart attack on custom pricing.

Either way you go Good Luck!!!

Edit... I'd TRIPLE check that isnt seeping from the bulkhead first.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no professional and the leak point is not apparent to me.., but what about siliconing a piece of glass across the entire back of tank. And/or a strip inside, running the length of the tank, in corner like eurobraced tank. Of course would require proper cleaning, removal of frame, and clamping glass until cured. Idk, just a thought. Maybe point out where the water is coming out for better advice from others

OP
OP
D

dbugg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no professional and the leak point is not apparent to me.., but what about siliconing a piece of glass across the entire back of tank. And/or a strip inside, running the length of the tank, in corner like eurobraced tank. Of course would require proper cleaning, removal of frame, and clamping glass until cured. Idk, just a thought. Maybe point out where the water is coming out for better advice from others

Attachments

• 20230901_163228~2.jpg
    20230901_163228~2.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 65

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Long story- but I'm a details guy. I need some help from the community!)

I recently bought a house with an alcove under the stairs that was perfect for a nice big reef tank, and a built-in look. I've always wanted one. I was researching for weeks looking to get into the hobby, and find the perfect sized tank and stand. I was searching second-hand sites almost daily. So about a month ago, I finally found a beautiful custom-built tank the same day a frustrated divorcee posted on offer-up. The price was really good considering the quality of the furniture surrounding the tank, and in the pics the tank was loaded with established live rock, a few corals, and had a couple of big fish. I contacted her right away trying not to sound eager. I asked her to confirm the measurements, and it was almost perfect. (I have literally 2 inches of space on the sides and it recessed almost flush into the alcove.) The tank was listed at $1500 with everything included- sump with a good skimmer, expensive (but aging) lighting, RODI equipment, etc. She said it was "his" and she really just wanted it gone. Bingo.

I hung up with her and started calling LFSs to try to find movers to figure a total cost to get setup in my house. As a newbie, I wanted pros, or at least non-newbies. And it's a beast. One of the guys I called ran a mostly solo maintenance business. We chatted and I got a good feeling about him. He said he could meet me at the seller's house later that afternoon when I went to take a look. I told him I thought it was about 180g because the seller didn't know. He warned me that he didn't do any move for under $500, but that he could give a better estimate after we met. Fair enough.

I asked the seller's permission to bring a fish guy. All set.

The house - custom, not quite grand, but upper-upper-middle class - was beautiful, and the tank was no exception (it's twice as good as the picture). She said they paid a master carpenter $5K to build out the tank's maple furniture about 12years ago when they got the tank... and that was completely believable. The woodwork was exceptional. As a DIY guy who's done some (mediocre) finish carpentry, I was super impressed. The tank was a little neglected with hair algae over a lot of the rock, but there was good flow, the clown and fox face (both 5", mature) looked okay, there were a few thriving corals... the skimmer was skimming, etc. (I was ready to buy!) ...The fish guy shows up 20 minutes late, just as it was starting to get awkward. My initial impression in-person matched that of the phone call. Very knowledgeable, personable, and a no non-sense guy. He looks like he's worked hard at this job his whole life. He looks like the kind of guy you'd want helping you move anything, he sounds like the kind of guy anybody could have a beer with. He's smart, but you can tell he does hard work. My kind of guy.

He warned me that I would spend hours scrubbing hair algae with a toothbrush (it was days, but I didn't hate it), and that he wasn't doing it. He kind of gives me the side eye and says "that tank is was way more than 180g." (After some quick measurements of just the tank - not "will it fit perfectly in my house spot" - he says "260 gallons".)

"All the more room for my wonderful livestock plans", I thought.

He confirmed the tank and the furniture was well done, the glass was in great shape, super thick with almost no scratches, and the equipment was solid. He's been in the business over 20 years in the same area. He has a double major in wildlife management and something or another fish-like, and he lights up when I ask questions - explaining everything that has to do with reef biology or chemistry in a way that shows he has true passion for at least that part of his occupation.

I thank her for showing me the tank, and my soon-to-be-hired fish guy and I walk out together. We chat in the driveway and he says it's a big move, but he could do it for $1000. I ask if that's the best he can do, and he says he might do it for $900. The triangle formed by my house, the seller's house, and the fish guy's house (let's call him John) is an equilateral triangle with less than 15-minute sides. I ask him about the value of the tank. He says he's done a ton of deals in the business, and when I finally ask, "If it was your set up, what's the minimum you would take?", he says, "I wouldn't take less than $2K... what's she asking?"

"I'd rather not say right now, but if I pull the trigger you're hired for the move," I said too smugly. I contacted the seller, complained about the cost of the move, and she was happy to make a deal at $1K. I thought about how lucky I was to catch the ad on the first day! I patted myself on the back for being such a thrifty deal-finder! I was PUMPED!

The move day comes, scheduled for 8am, and John and his assistant get started, in my absence, at the seller's house, late. (John is a good guy, but he's like 0-10 on punctuality). He keeps me apprised through the lunchtime- I wasn't expecting to hear much anyway. Then it got later. And later. I still wasn't worried. It got to be about 4pm, and he called and informed me that removing the furniture from the tank and the wall was more difficult than he planned and that obviously things are delayed.

I still wasn't worried. Then it was a couple hours later.

He called and said the tank furniture was actually attached to the other house woodwork/framing/wainscotting/whatever and they're trying to remove the stand "without damaging this beautiful wood".

He calls back about 8pm. He explains that the seller actually contacted the master carpenter, who is now present at the site - the seller and carpenter became friends over the years - and the carpenter is trying to remember back 12 years ago how he built-in the tank stand to help them get the last stubborn tank-to-wall pieces removed without damaging/cutting the stand. John tactfully explains that this job has outgrown his expectations, and that although his quote still stands, if I was understanding, could I consider their now-12-hour day in the payment for services rendered. He needed to pay his assistant for his time, etc.

"Absolutely. I will take care of you. I believe in paying people fairly for their work," I said.

"But what is 'fairly'?" I thought. "Okay, $1200 is probably right."

He asked if they can't get it out soon, would it be okay to cut it out. Sure, it will be hidden in the alcove anyway. The last screws came out while we were on the phone. "See you soon," said John.

He dropped everything off late, and I agreed that the garage was fine for the night and we would set it up in the next couple of days. He asked for at least half of the quoted price so he could pay his assistant.

"No problem. I'm Zelling you $450 now," I said.

He explained that his assistant (longtime friend) had a real job and wouldn't be able to help move in the tank from the garage.

"No problem, I can help," I said.

"Are you sure, this tank is heavier than it looks?"

"Pfft. Yeah, I'm sure," I said.

I've never lifted anything heavier in my life, that wasn't a deadlift or in a squat rack. This is thick glass.

Days later, after both fish died in a Home Depot bucket with a rock and a bubbler, after days of scrubbing rock with a toothbrush, thinking "should these other things stay or get scrubbed?" and "I don't know the difference between a pest and a keeper thingy", after doing water changes in trash cans for the rock, after he replumbs everything... it's time! Time to fill the tank! Time to check the new plumbing! Time to do my aquascape... cycle... FISH AND CORAL!

I get the text while at work. "The plumbing is solid - no leaks. But we have an issue. Call me."

It was a leak at the bottom, between the overflow and the back of the tank. It is a leak at the bottom, between the overflow and the back of the tank. While the tank and stand were in my garage I wiped down the wood and the tank with damp cloth of water/vinegar, proud of my new purchase and excited to start the hobby. The stand was bone dry. The leak happened during the move.

The tank is tall. The overflow is narrow. Reaching the bottom of the overflow without a 2" wide, 4' long arm is impossible. He explained that to do it right meant stripping all the silicone and resealing everything... but he also recommended trying to just put a bunch of silicone down there, and hoping it held. We tried it. Let it cure for a week.

Failed right away.

He recommended more silicone on top of that silicone. He jammed two more whole tubes of silicone down at the bottom of the overflow with a stick and a towel taped to the end. We waited another week for it to cure.

Yesterday before he was on his way over to retest the overflow leak, I couldn't stand the suspense. I poured a half a glass of water down the overflow - which I watched seep out the back of the tank. I texted him and said don't bother, "we might as well have put bubble gum down there"... "silicone on silicone was never gonna seal" ... something like "even if the leak stopped would you put this patched tank in your house with 260 gallons? If not, don't recommend that to me."

I was frustrated. The relationship is strained now. I respect him, and I don't think he's taking advantage of me, but I don't want to risk flooding the house after a patch holds for a couple of weeks, then breaks loose after investing more time and effort in an aquascape, cycling, fish, coral, etc. He was adamant that he told me in the beginning of the leak that the right thing to do was to strip all the silicone, etc. But now I feel like I paid a lot of money for 1000lbs of junk in my house. "Nobody reseals these big tanks," I thought. "I've got a fancy terrarium/reptile tank/eye sore now."

I'm tired of typing and you're probably tired of reading - if you even got this far. So he just now texted that he's trying to do the right thing. He doesn't want to walk away from the job unfinished. I believe him. He has spent a lot of time on this project that he didn't expect to. I've only paid him $450, but at the same time, the agreement was full flowing tank there to full flowing tank here. Two expensive-ish (?) fish are lost. The few corals died within days too. I've done full water changes 4 times for the rock, bought new filters for the RODI, etc. It was supposed to be a one-day move. I think the whole thing was going to be a great deal, but it's still a lot of money for me. I wouldn't get into this hobby at full price. I don't do anything at full price.

I haven't mentioned it yet but I asked him to fill the rest of tank to make sure the overflow was the only leak. Only the overflow box is leaking - out of the back of the bottom seal.

Tonight he said he recommends letting him take the tank back to his garage for a full reseal. He didn't mention cost. Before today, he's tactfully mentioned hoping to still be paid for his time and effort. I don't want to stiff anybody. I don't want to get stiffed.

What would you do??

IMG_20230802_074012.jpg IMG_20230802_074550_01.jpg
I say look around to see who can do the re seal the best and for the best price or look into a new tank thats custom fit for the stand. Reefing is very expensive, I just would worry about this guy doing the reseal as his whole silicone on silicone thing just isnt how tank seals work… I say pay him for the moving job and look into different options, Im really not thinking he can do the re seal job

OP
OP
D

dbugg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, if anyone cares (and so I can look back years from now and laugh/cry):

We cut a 4.5 inch hole in the overflow (which turned out to have a layer of glass behind the acrylic) for access to the massive amount of silicone at the bottom of the overflow. Then I spent four hours with various razors/scrapers cleaning the seams inside the overflow. The idea was my fish guy would reseal just the inside of the overflow once it was cleaned. He did. After curing, tested overflow, it held. Then I said let's test the whole tank before moving it back in the house. We did. The main portion of the tank was now leaking when it got to half full. (Looking back, I think this is because my fish guy didn't support/level the tank properly when filling. He just used some old, uneven 4x4 posts with shims(!) and my garage slopes away from the house of course. I think it flexed under the pressure of the water.)

This is where I paid my fish guy a little more to where we were both satisfied, and I completely took over. I was going to completely remove the overflows and all the silicone in the main tank, then reseal the tank myself.

If you've done this before (not me) then you know that cleaning the seams is the most important/tedious part. Took forever until I was satisfied that the joints were clean enough for a new bead of silicone.

I wanted the new seal to cure completely level, so before starting, my father in law and I got the tank into my living room. We leveled the stand without the tank. The tank is too tall to seal it on the stand. The plan was as soon as the new seal was tacky, we put on the level stand to cure. Leak test it there. Basically never move it off the stand again.

After a lot of research I used Momentiv 100 series because of the sheer strength/adhesive strength, etc. on the spec sheet. Professional tank builders use it to actually build tanks, so I figure it would seal AND reinforce the tank. This stuff is not cheap btw.

I used masking tape on the vertical joints for clean lines, but the bottom I didn't care because it would be hidden. I bought 6 tubes of Momentiv but ended up using only 2. For reference my tank is 260g. The glass is 1/2 in. thick, so I spread the bead out 1/2 from the joint. The spec sheet doesn't give a minimum bead thickness, only a maximum: 1/4in. This stressed me out. I wanted to have a thick bead because I could wait weeks for it to cure if needed. I obeyed the spec sheet and laid the bead down, then used my finger and a whole row of paper towels to wipe my finger between smoothing. I applied a little pressure to make sure the silicone got into the seam. In some places I was worried I had thinned the bead too much. It gets tacky a little faster than I like: 5-10 minutes at room temp, but really this is plenty. When I realized it started to get tacky, I pulled the painters tape just in time. I knew I couldn't touch anything else or it would booger it up. I was done, whether it was perfect or not. Whether it was too thin or not. (My father-in-law, who is literally a genius and has fixed everything under the sun from bulldozers to supercomputers to aquariums, woke up from his nap and said he thought maybe it was too thin in some spots. Sheesh.)

I let it cure for a week.

Today was the day. I plugged the bulkheads with PVC pipe and filled the tank. I'm either going to have a reef or a snake tank. I filled it half way.

That was an hour ago. No leaks!!

Tips:

1. I'll save you the research- the strongest silicone is Momentiv 100 series or GE SCS1200. I wouldn't use anything else. Especially for large tanks.

2. Contrary to very popular belief, ACETONE DOES NOT DISSOLVE SILICONE. Every one of you reading this will want to fight me. I don't care how many YouTubers or bloggers say otherwise. Chemistry disagrees. If you wish to debate, please post only chemical equations. I still used and still recommend acetone before sealing to remove other residuals.

3. I used clear, but I should have used black. The clear seams are apparent now on my black background and kind of an eye sore. I may lay down a wider black bead over the clear.

4. Pull the painters tape as soon as you can to prevent boogering up the seam.

5. If it does booger up, leave it. Go back and carefully trim with razor blade or fingernail scissors. Once it's tacky, you're done. Move efficiently.

6. Let it cure as long as you can, but at least 3-4 days. Unless there is any smell at all, then wait longer.

7. If possible, seal, cure, test, and fill the tank on its final (level) resting place. Basically don't move heavy tanks any more than you have to.

I just wanted to share and give back because I've learned so much from this community. Thank you from a soon-to-be first-time reefer!

Attachments

• 20231021_185603.jpg
    20231021_185603.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 41

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your "saga". Glad you resolved the issue finally and that you're still going forward with starting a reef. You'll love it. You've already shown some of the most important traits needed to be successful, diligence and patience!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back