Calculating the right amount of food

Merdfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reliable way of calculating the right amount of total food to put in a tank based on what is stocked. I have got some unreliable advice so far from web searches. My tank is currently cycling and I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I stock it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reliable way of calculating the right amount of total food to put in a tank based on what is stocked. I have got some unreliable advice so far from web searches. My tank is currently cycling and I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I stock it.
I found that sort of information with searches about fish aquaculture . The answer will be something like X% of body weight, with X being larger for young fish.

If you don’t have many fish, overfeeding is not much of an issue. If you plan on cramming in many fish, yeah, good idea about adding the right amount of food. Too much fiid requires special effort to remove nitrate and phosphate, though even the right amount if food and many fish will be a challege to control nitrate and phosphate.. Not enough means starved fish that are prone to disease.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back