CALIBRATE YOUR REFRACTOMETER!!

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA- Thought I’d do my first ICP on my 5 month old tank to establish a baseline. Results come back with Salinity at 31 ppt. what the heck? So I get some reference solution and sure enough….refractometer is off by 4ppt. Tank looks great. Fish are happy. So filled the ATO with 35ppt water and will slowly return it to proper levels.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA- Thought I’d do my first ICP on my 5 month old tank to establish a baseline. Results come back with Salinity at 31 ppt. what the heck? So I get some reference solution and sure enough….refractometer is off by 4ppt. Tank looks great. Fish are happy. So filled the ATO with 35ppt water and will slowly return it to proper levels.
There's a link to Randy's DIY calibration solutions in my signature, if you are interested.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are super sensitive. At least mine is.

I calibrate every time before checking salinity.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I have never calibrated mine. Going to stay on top of it from now on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back