Calibrating refractometer - SG vs. salinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter RobertK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RobertK

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
893
Reaction score
994
Location
NorCal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some new Pinpoint refractometer calibrating solution, the bottle says it is SG 1.026 and 35 ppm salinity. I noticed that the scale on my refractometer (which I bought at least 10 years ago) reads 1.025 SG as 35 PPM, and 1.026 SG as slightly over 36 ppm. Which number should I calibrate it at? Or do I need a new one? Thanks!
(I tried taking a picture through the eyepiece of the refractometer but it didn't work.)

refractometer.jpg
salinity soln.jpg
 
That’s because it is not a seawater refractometer. What you note is the tell tale sign. Use the standard and then set the refractometer to either 35 ppt or sg = 1.0264, depending on which scale you want to use, and then use whichever scale you set it to.
 
Thanks for the replies! I had no idea that not all salinity refractometers were intended for seawater use. Is that because there are other elements besides NaCl in seawater?

I bought mine from what I thought was a reputable marine aquarium equipment supplier. I will calibrate it to 35 ppm and do my best to keep it stable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new