Calibrating Trident to tank

KrispyKashew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been having issues with my Trident since I set it up two weeks ago. It has read Alk 1.2DKH low, calcium 100-150 higher but mag was pretty much spot on. I let it run for about a week and a half then tried calibrating. It got maybe 10-20% closer to my measured ranges but was still way off.

I am contemplating calibrating it to my tank as I am fairly confidant in my results and testing. I have two different test kits that are different brands for each parameter and get within margin of error result with them. I had a ICP test done recently that backed up the results.

Is there any downsides to calibrating to tank parameters? The trident tests are very consistent and I can work with the numbers it gives me but I would like it to read correctly. It seems calibration solution is out of stock atm and I would rather not waste the one that comes in refills trying to figure this out.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine always seemed to be close to what i tested manually. Soo much so that i cant remember the last time i used my Alk Checker, im pretty sure my reagent expired. But i have read that people have calibrated to the tank water after ICP and or manual testing. I dont see an issue. All the calibration solution is, is a known seawater standard...

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been calibrating mine using my own test kit results for quite awhile now. Right now I have 5 bottles of unused calibration fluid.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back