California fire smoke in tank!!

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone please give me some advice on what I should do. I live in Sacramento California and there is a ton of wildfires and smoke flowing into the area. It’s extremely smoky. I came home today and noticed my tank is extremely cloudy like there is smoke In the water. I haven’t had a bacterial bloom in a year so I don’t think it’s that or could it be? The smoke is pretty thick here. If it is smoke will this cause my tank to crash and kill all my fish and corals? I can’t really do a water change because the new water will just be as smoky when I mix the salt.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I am in LA, so the air isn't as bad as the bay area, but very close. We ended up having to close all our windows, and running GAC

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless the air in your house is absolutely caked with smoke, to the point where you can't see right, I don't think your tank is full of smoke. Post a picture?

Run carbon, and do a water change. Your water shouldn't go cloudy. Put a wet towel over the bucket while mixing it to keep the smoke out if you feel like you need to.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No windows are closed but family is running the ac. And I think the smoke is coming in from the AC

Make sure to check your air filters. We ended up changing it after 7 days (recommended is 6 months). After 7 days of a brand new filter, it turned all brown. That's how bad the quality of air is right now. If you're running AC a lot, make sure to constantly check the filters and change them accordingly

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, and carbon will help but as others have pointed out, unless your house is full of smoke its unlikely to be from the fires.

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. In Concord & I have changed out my air filters as well. Luckily I haven’t had that problem, but the ash is so bad here at times it almost looks like it is a light snow... not sure if that’s what’s happening but I noticed some of it in the house over the last few days. I have had it on my clothes at times.

Seems like it is getting worse again tonight. Stay safe everyone along the left coast!!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
run carbon. Ac is a closed system it is not pulling air from the outside. Change filter. Run a air filter that has carbon in it. change often run carbon in the tank. If skimmer is pulling air from out side that could be part of the problem. Move or inside

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back