Smokin Reefs

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my reef is not smoking in the literal sense of electrical issues. But, Canada needs to get it's fires under control. :( I am having major respiratory issues, I'm taking major doses of decongestants and antihistamines morning and night. And my lungs still feel heavy and coughing up stuff.

My Aquarium ph normally runs 7.9 to 8.05 and now it's running at its highest 7.8. I have my skimmer airline safely tucked in my unused air exchanger vents to pull in some outside air. I suspect it is pulling in smoky air.

The fact that I'm having difficulty breathing, due to the amount of smoke hanging in the air. There's advisories for all people to stay indoors. It's not far from a point of humans needing some pretty strong breathing masks to filter out the smoke.

There's a haze of blue air just hanging over everything outside, it smells like I have a camp fire going in the back yard. Is there anything I should do for humans and/or fish health outside of asking Canada to get its wildfires under control? No offense to those working hard trying to do so!

I never thought I'd need an air purifier inside the house outside of the whole house carbon air filter on the furnace. But, it's getting to a point, we may need to wear oxygen masks or need better air filters on the house!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope things get better the fires in Canada have been on the uk Tv News . Looks bad from what we have seen

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I don't think smoky air will have CO2 that much higher than normal, unless you are very close to the fire, but closing up your home to keep out the smoke will raise indoor CO2.

". A lower outdoor ventilation rate will reduce the amount of smoke drawn into the building but will also increase CO2 levels. Monitor CO2 levels and if they rise above 2,000 ppm attempt to bring in more outside air –unless it is very smoky."

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I don't think smoky air will have CO2 that much higher than normal, unless you are very close to the fire, but closing up your home to keep out the smoke will raise indoor CO2.

". A lower outdoor ventilation rate will reduce the amount of smoke drawn into the building but will also increase CO2 levels. Monitor CO2 levels and if they rise above 2,000 ppm attempt to bring in more outside air –unless it is very smoky."

Thanks, that makes sense. I generally keep the house closed due to my allergies. That said, we're in the 100 particulates in the air right now, and around 100 miles west of me particulates are hitting 200. Unhealthy is considered 150-200. Very unhealthy is considered 200-300. Hazardous is >300

When you look outside the trees in the distance are all surrounded by blue smoke. The haze is blue in the grass and trees. As though the fire is in our back yards.

I can't imagine what it's like in Canada right now if we're being impacted this significantly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back