Calling all BIOCUBE 14 owners!

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just acquired a BIOCUBE 14 to setup for my kids to make it "their" tank that they can enjoy. My daughter and son are super exicted, but not sure why I am super stoked about it possibly more than them! (Maybe because the wife allowed it and because I haven't really purchased any fishes/inverts since foreverrrr!!!) LOL ;Smuggrin

I plan to make it an open top with hanging light, but would like to know from all the BC14 owners out there how you guys set up your BC14 and what mods are best for this small tank! Would love to see and hear some great ideas and suggestions from everyone!

Most likely will be filled with LPS/Softies, RBTA and pair of designer clowns to start. Let me hear and see em y'all!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep one of the 16 at my work (just the newer version of the 14). I would probably get the intank media basket (stock ones allow too much bypass for my taste). That and some chemipure blue as well as a little bag of biomedia and a filterpad all make the tank nice and clean. I might take a pic if I don't forget lol

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep one of the 16 at my work (just the newer version of the 14). I would probably get the intank media basket (stock ones allow too much bypass for my taste). That and some chemipure blue as well as a little bag of biomedia and a filterpad all make the tank nice and clean. I might take a pic if I don't forget lol

I was checking that out just now and looks like a great idea! Is intank the only vendor that makes these baskets for bc14s?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, what a coincidence. Someone from Reddit has one and was just posting about it.

I can't really recommend wavemakers because I never used one and forgot how to choose one, but one thing I would recommend is custom-making a lid for it though, to make sure fish do not jump out.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, what a coincidence. Someone from Reddit has one and was just posting about it.

I can't really recommend wavemakers because I never used one and forgot how to choose one, but one thing I would recommend is custom-making a lid for it though, to make sure fish do not jump out.
Yes indeed! I plan to have a lid over it.

Can you share the reddit link? Want to see if it has some useful info I can intake lol

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed! I plan to have a lid over it.

Can you share the reddit link? Want to see if it has some useful info I can intake lol
Oh I had the link tagged to the 'Reddit' bit of my reply, but anyways here it is again:

Hopefully I did not break any rules there. XD

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am planning to set up my biocube using live rock, sand and saltwater from my currently well established tank, what would you guys recommend running in the media basket?

I see a lot of people use purigen, chemipure, carbon, filter floss. What will be best for my setup?

Should i do filter floss ==> purigen ==> bio-rings/bioballs? I plan to put some chaeto in the 1st chamber as well.

Let me know what you guys think! Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

GraveKone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just acquired a BIOCUBE 14 to setup for my kids to make it "their" tank that they can enjoy. My daughter and son are super exicted, but not sure why I am super stoked about it possibly more than them! (Maybe because the wife allowed it and because I haven't really purchased any fishes/inverts since foreverrrr!!!) LOL ;Smuggrin

I plan to make it an open top with hanging light, but would like to know from all the BC14 owners out there how you guys set up your BC14 and what mods are best for this small tank! Would love to see and hear some great ideas and suggestions from everyone!

Most likely will be filled with LPS/Softies, RBTA and pair of designer clowns to start. Let me hear and see em y'all!
A 14 is a bit small for a pair of clowns but you could do a clown a a goby

GraveKone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am planning to set up my biocube using live rock, sand and saltwater from my currently well established tank, what would you guys recommend running in the media basket?

I see a lot of people use purigen, chemipure, carbon, filter floss. What will be best for my setup?

Should i do filter floss ==> purigen ==> bio-rings/bioballs? I plan to put some chaeto in the 1st chamber as well.

Let me know what you guys think! Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!
I wouldn’t use bioballs, in my bc32 I jusf put some some smaller pieces of live rock in there

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use bioballs, in my bc32 I jusf put some some smaller pieces of live rock in there

Why not bioballs? Isn’t live rock just doing the same job? And probably not as good as bio media if it’s not good porous live rock

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post...so I’ll add this, if you clean the bioballs it’s not a nitrate trap, if you had live rock in the back, that too would need cleaning every now and again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back