Calling All Consistent Apex AFS Users - What's Your Food & Schedule?

VelocityTech

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2017
Messages
776
Reaction score
195
Location
Pennsylvania
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey reefers,

I've had an Apex AFS for years but have always been on-and-off with it. I've landed on using BRS pellets (as they seem reliable) but am making a new push to get the feeder dialed in as a consistent, "set it and forget it" piece of equipment.

I'm looking for tips and best practices from those of you who have been using your AFS successfully for a long time. I'm curious about your setup and what makes it work.

If you have a setup you're happy with, could you share:

  1. What's in your food mix? Just pellets, or a custom blend?
  2. What's your schedule? How many "clicks" (open), and how many times per day?
  3. What's your fish load like? (heavy, light, etc.)
  4. Any pro-tips? How do you keep it reliable and prevent issues?

I'm sure there are better methods out there than what I'm doing.

Thanks for sharing what works for you!
 
free bump from me since I just got an apex and WILL be doing this for trips.

My thoughts are this... BRS pellets sink really well and dont just float into your drain. TDS chroma DO NOT sink well. I have to bathe them in water before feeding. I think Neptune makes a food for the feeder but not sure about how good/healthy it is.
 
I think you will find that this question will get varying answers from hobbyist for no other reason than we have different opinions on nutrient levels. I personally believe that hobbyist have been taught to feed less to prevent issues which is a mistake.

  1. What's in your food mix? Pellet, mix. Hikari a, s, herbivore, carnivore. PE mysis. TDO x-small, small

  2. What's your schedule? Hourly starting at 0830 ending at 1830 (I also do 2 x frozen) - slider is enough for all food to exit (not blocked by larger pellet size) but provides a small portion

  3. What's your fish load like? I don't feel this question is important as it will vary based on tank size, maturity, and hobbyist belief on feeding. Having said that I have 11 Lyretail Damsels, 3 Pink Square Anthias, Gold Line Rabbit, Copperband Butterfly, Milletseed Butterfly, Zoster and Pyramid Butterfly, Scopas Tang, Neon Blue Goby, Upside Down Goby, pair of clowns, pair of Pajama Cardinals, Matted filefish

  4. Any pro-tips? don't be afraid to feed but do be responsible
 
free bump from me since I just got an apex and WILL be doing this for trips.

My thoughts are this... BRS pellets sink really well and dont just float into your drain. TDS chroma DO NOT sink well. I have to bathe them in water before feeding. I think Neptune makes a food for the feeder but not sure about how good/healthy it is.
The Neptune pellets are made by TDO. I have a medium bio load and use the AFS on the second "click". It feeds twice a day, 12 and 1500. I use a mix of the Algae and Goji NYOS food. I also feed Larrys Reef at night by hand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new