Calling all Lanthanum chloride users: got any AEFW?

If you dose Lanthanum Chloride (more than once in a blue moon), have you suffered from AEFW?

• I dose, and Yes I have had AEFW while dosing. They never seemed to be bothered by it.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I dose, and No I have not had issues with AEFW.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I dose, and I had AEFW, but they went away.

• I am better at acro QT than you, I've never personally seen AEFW. (knocks on wood. grabs flashlight)

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • What is AEFW? (opens new google tab.)

• Total voters

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think (hope, pray) they are still gone. It is about time that I should pull a handful of their favorite colonies and dip to double check. Been distracted with plumbing the new frag tank for a full week now.
If not you then somebody else with these little terrors should try.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would come back to this thread with an "update".

So Spring 2022, I seemed to have AEFW under control / undetectable. But I had gotten to that point once/twice before, got lazy, and kinda ended up where I began. The AEFW population would rebound once I stopped dipping every weekend.

But coming up on a year later, I have not seen a worm since. Since then, I have been running higher nutrients -- even dosing trisodium phosphate -- and dosing LCl once a month or so.

I think I am going to reverse my previous skepticism about LCl dosing's effectiveness. While I am not sure it literally kills adult AEFW, I believe it is messing with either the young ones or some stage of the reproductive cycle. I never did the dip test on the worms to confirm lethality. By the time that thought occurred they were already undetectable.

Warning: do NOT dose lanthanam chloride (LCl) without sufficient levels of PO4 available. It will strip it out quickly and your corals will suffer/die. You also risk dinos. Dose up PO4 if you have to.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back