Calling all Reefer A 1000 G2 owners

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input from those of you that have one. Pros, cons, random thoughts? Its one of the tanks on my short list to replace my aging 180g and I'm just looking for oppinions from folks that actually own one. I already have 2 redsea tanks, an early reefer 170 and a xl300 G2 so I'm a bit familiar with the systems but have never been up close to one of their larger systems.
I'm not interested in turning this into a seam splitting thread and I'm not interested in reasons why you wouldn't buy one :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

EDIT : Dang I wish I could edit titles in addition to post content @revhtree :winking-face:
I meant S 1000 obviously if a #mod can correct the title I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 250 g1 and a Max 500. I too am looking for a large tank for next year to consolidate this madness I have created into one giant bucket of madness.

For me, I will be abandoning Red Sea. Not due to quality, but I don’t want a plug and play system. There is not much left from either of my tanks from RS short of display and stand, that’s really about it. Also, having 1 display with the return in the tank and one technically out side the display(giving a flat back wall) I also know that I don’t want that obstruction inside my next tank. I also DO NOT WANT that rear return/ATO engineering nightmare ever again. A simple external rear return is my future. It will also be plumbed for a closed loop for help with flow (I do like that, just don’t like the aiptasia farm in how they have the set up engineered).

Obviously I’ll have to have a custom display made, but, that is mainly because everything is plug and play these days.

This probably wasn’t helpful, but I wish you luck.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also DO NOT WANT that rear return/ATO engineering nightmare ever again.
Thanks can you elaborate please. My reefer 300 is a G2 and just has the return in the overflow which I don't mind. ATO is not redsea So I have a seperate ato that just goes to the sump.
I currently have 3 tanks running. The one I will be replacing is an aging 180 with 125g as a sump in the basement. While working in the basement is nice the stairs get old and my plumbing while functional is not at all pretty.
I laughed at your comment on consolidating. I've tried several times but I never seem to get rid of a tank just add a new one.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a bigger tank equals divorce court unfortunately.
One of the reasons I'm legally single after being together almost 30 years :winking-face: She's on my bank accounts but I'm not on hers. Funny but it keeps her from making a fuss over how much I spend. It also helps that she drives a 2023 Nissan frontier pro 4 x and has a new iPhone and she didn't pay for either. You just have to no how to work the system :zany-face:

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks can you elaborate please. My reefer 300 is a G2 and just has the return in the overflow which I don't mind. ATO is not redsea So I have a seperate ato that just goes to the sump.
I currently have 3 tanks running. The one I will be replacing is an aging 180 with 125g as a sump in the basement. While working in the basement is nice the stairs get old and my plumbing while functional is not at all pretty.
I laughed at your comment on consolidating. I've tried several times but I never seem to get rid of a tank just add a new one.
I was referring to my Max S 500. It has a rear chamber equal to length and height of the tank. It creates a flat back, which I love. BUT having an elevated ATO reserve is no bueno when using technology and the flow through area where the 3 recirculating pumps and the return are located create a great Aiptasia farm. Go look the tank up on the internet. You will see what I mean.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to my Max S 500. It has a rear chamber equal to length and height of the tank. It creates a flat back, which I love. BUT having an elevated ATO reserve is no bueno when using technology and the flow through area where the 3 recirculating pumps and the return are located create a great Aiptasia farm. Go look the tank up on the internet. You will see what I mean.

Na I'm not understanding unless your talking about the gravity fed ato which is the first thing I ditched on older reefers but I don't thing the new ones have.
Also not sure what you mean by flow through area where the 3 recirculating pumps and the return are located create a great Aiptasia farm.
Sorry I'm a bit slow atv times

Elmer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make a decision yet? Here is our experience with this tank:
We ran an 170 and 350 (early types) for a few years. We were very happy with them. When we moved in 2022, we got one of the first 1000 G2’s to combine the livestock in one big dream tank. It’s still running smooth as butter! Especially since we got that roller-mat.
We had the old 350 running in the garage, while the new tank was setting in and stabilizing before we gradually moved over the fish. You could compare the systems: the build quality of Red Sea’s S line is of another level compared to their regular reefers. Fell in love when I saw it at the LFS. This tank feels like it will outlive us :)
Oh, and whatever path you decide to take, I can really recommend having a brace around the tank like the S, instead of rimless. No wiping the glass all day anymore

The person above might be referring to the fact that tanks like Reefers have an internal overflow, in which eventually stuff can grow that your fish cannot get to to clean (algae, aiptasia, etc). Not a big deal if you ask me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back