Calling all seahorse keepers or those in the midst of a seahorse build!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on a lot of forums for seahorses. Some of those forums are exclusively seahorses or pipefish. It seems like R2R has more activity in our seahorse section than I am seeing on any other forum. I am just curious how many seahorse keepers or soon-to-be keepers we have. Please reply with the type of tank and how many ponies you currently have, (or if you are in a build how many ponies you plan to keep) and what type of seahorse specie. I just thought it would be fun to see how many of us are out there.

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37 gallons with 2 erectus, no sump, one double sponge filter + one big sponge filter + canister + foamer.
Plan to transfer them on 55 after moving
10 gallons + 5 gallons with about 90/100 zosterae, one with double sponge filter and one with HOB

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37 gallons with 2 erectus, no sump, one double sponge filter + one big sponge filter + canister + foamer.
Plan to transfer them on 55 after moving
10 gallons + 5 gallons with about 90/100 zosterae, one with double sponge filter and one with HOB
Very cool. I only knew of one other dwarf seahorse keeper and they got a dwarf accidently, so it was a rescue. Now I know of someone with experience with zosterae. Is it alright if I refer folks interested in keeping them to you?

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm around on nano-reef.com somewhat often, but just made an account here recently and found this forum has a ton of activity for seahorses and the rest!

I have a 40B with two h. erectus a breeding pair and am currently trying to raise some fry. I was not prepared at all for the first or second batch but I have about a dozen that are around 6 and 9 weeks old but now am fully prepared and read for their next coming! Hopefully I can get a real % to survive. I'm going to make a few build threads soon on R2R about my current tank setup and breeding process... so look out for those!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm around on nano-reef.com somewhat often, but just made an account here recently and found this forum has a ton of activity for seahorses and the rest!

I have a 40B with two h. erectus a breeding pair and am currently trying to raise some fry. I was not prepared at all for the first or second batch but I have about a dozen that are around 6 and 9 weeks old but now am fully prepared and read for their next coming! Hopefully I can get a real % to survive. I'm going to make a few build threads soon on R2R about my current tank setup and breeding process... so look out for those!
Welcome to r2r Hans Solo. I am looking forward to your build threads!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R!!! When your ready to share your build link (s) please post them here so we can find them :D

Annette Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom tank around 90g (24"x24"x36" high) I have 4 erectus 2 males and 2 females. I plan on getting 1 more pair. I also have 4 dragonets 2 males and 2 females which breed every night. I also have a breeding pair of clingfish.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom tank around 90g (24"x24"x36" high) I have 4 erectus 2 males and 2 females. I plan on getting 1 more pair. I also have 4 dragonets 2 males and 2 females which breed every night. I also have a breeding pair of clingfish.
Very cool. Your ponies must love all that height although I bet you do not love cleaning the glass. That is so cool that your dragonets are so happy and breeding. And I never heard of clingfish. I would love to see pics!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the rescuer with the dwarf seahorses (Hippocampus zosterae). I started with one that I rescued from a bag of live Mysis fish food but now I have 13 in a 5 gallon that I modified for them.
You were the only dwarf seahorse keeper I was aware of until Lucie posted that she has dwarfs.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the rescuer with the dwarf seahorses (Hippocampus zosterae). I started with one that I rescued from a bag of live Mysis fish food but now I have 13 in a 5 gallon that I modified for them.
I read your thread on that...so inspiring! Glad to hear they are doing well. Great setup you have btw.

Annette Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Your ponies must love all that height although I bet you do not love cleaning the glass. That is so cool that your dragonets are so happy and breeding. And I never heard of clingfish. I would love to see pics!

4424e94719ab20b951ac0d066b48964a.jpg
a384f938c6d7c22ef307dc4b1dec4eea.jpg

This is the male taking care of the eggs

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4424e94719ab20b951ac0d066b48964a.jpg
a384f938c6d7c22ef307dc4b1dec4eea.jpg

This is the male taking care of the eggs
Thank you for the pics! That is really neat. Do any of them ever hatch or is it like clownfish...when they hatch they need a lot of special food and care?

Annette Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the pics! That is really neat. Do any of them ever hatch or is it like clownfish...when they hatch they need a lot of special food and care?

They all do hatch but they are like clown fish they need special food and care

Sylvannamariee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a 32g biocube about 5 weeks ago using live rock and water from my 125. Going to be adding gargonian coral this week and hoping to get a couple of ponies and a dragon face pipefish by the end of the month!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back