Calling Randy...Tropic Marin's All The Reef?

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm missing something, but despite the claims this product doesn't actually do anything for addressing magnesium does it?

Mag and cal components cannot be combined correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, Do you think this product will be able to deliver the appropriate amount of magnesium that it claims to do?

It will deliver as much as they put in, but I do not know how much that is, and to some extent, the magnesium demand is guesswork as it varies between coralline and various types of corals. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy!
I dosed the Red Sea ABC+ powder with Colors C and D for one year.

You dose that to your calcium's intake and it already has Colors A and B in that product.

Just keep an close eye on all your big-3, and bump up one or the other when needed.

Please keep us updated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, Do you think this product will be able to deliver the appropriate amount of magnesium that it claims to do?

If they add it, it can deliver it. I can’t know if they add the amount they claim, but unlike kalk+2, there’s no reason this won’t work.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm missing something, but despite the claims this product doesn't actually do anything for addressing magnesium does it?

Mag and cal components cannot be combined correct?

Sure they can. Even commercial two parts do it. My diy two part does not because that reduces the number of different chemical ingredients you need to buy.

U

User1

View Badges
Sure they can. Even commercial two parts do it. My diy two part does not because that reduces the number of different chemical ingredients you need to buy.

Hypothetically speaking is there a diy two part that is starving parent friendly (2 in college) that can be dosed with a 2 head unit yet keep alk, cal, and mag in line? I have been considering esv 2 part but recently started to also look at the diy route.

Note - not really starving parents but two in college does change the budget :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically speaking is there a diy two part that is starving parent friendly (2 in college) that can be dosed with a 2 head unit yet keep alk, cal, and mag in line? I have been considering esv 2 part but recently started to also look at the diy route.

Note - not really starving parents but two in college does change the budget :)

Yes, Jim Welsh and others have developed such a recipe. It needs sodium sulfate, at a minimum, in addition to the other ingredients. No mag sulfate needed. Maybe someone can post the link.

That said, you should not need to dose magnesium often at all, and the mag part one a week to once a month may be perfectly fine.

U

User1

View Badges
Yes, Jim Welsh and others have developed such a recipe. It needs sodium sulfate, at a minimum, in addition to the other ingredients. No mag sulfate needed. Maybe someone can post the link.

That said, you should not need to dose magnesium often at all, and the mag part one a week to once a month may be perfectly fine.

Thanks. I believe I found the thread (below) and reading through it now.

Thank you again. Have a great week!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use this and their carbo calcium adding 4ml every other day alternating.
I use it as a supplement to my normal dosing. Does it change anything?? - NOT sure but I do know it is stable and feel it contributes to the stable levels.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this and their carbo calcium adding 4ml every other day alternating.
I use it as a supplement to my normal dosing. Does it change anything?? - NOT sure but I do know it is stable and feel it contributes to the stable levels.
Whats great about it is that is does not contribute to ionic imbalance, at least not the carbocalcium, I dont think the all for reef would either, maybe randy would know. It should not effect ph either.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this on a single doser for a little over a month, maybe longer don’t remember exactly I’d have to go run through my notes, with what I’d consider good results. I’ve even got a spath that’s really started to actually color up since starting. My refugium also is healthier than ever(actually makes it hard to keep nitrate and phosphate off of zero, even with nightly reef roid feeding!) I do have the daily dose spread out over 10 individual doses in a 24 hour period though. At this point I would personally recommend it for smaller systems. Most of my corals are all growing frags and small colonies with a few larger colonies that are relatively new additions. But as dosing requirements increase over time this is a rather expensive option. That said there is a way to actually use tropic Marin’s ingredients to make large batches of this for a little cheaper than buying it premade.

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of trying this AIO out. I have a Kalk Reactor dosing 1/2 gallon per day based on an amount below historical evaporation and have fresh RODI in an ATO system to handle the makeup of the net evaporation.

In addition to the daily 1/2 gal Kalk dosing, my 135 gallon tank still consumes approximately .8 dkh of alkalinity per day. I currently make this up with BRS Liquid Soda Ash at 77 ml / day. I actually dose the normal 2-part plus manual Mg when needed.

I want to give All4Reef a try - I’m ready to switch from 2 part. However, I can’t find anywhere that has a quick calculator to determine how much of All4Reef needs to be dosed to make up for the .8 dkh consumption or equivalent of dosing 77ml / day of BRS Liquid Soda Ash.

On the TM website, I key in 135 gallons but it doesn’t have input for daily consumption to solve for how many ml to dose. The calculator just gives a very wide range from the recommended Initial Dosage of 25.55 ml to Maximum Dosage of 127.74 ml. I have the BRS 2-part dialed in and was hoping I could pinpoint the equivalent ml ofAll4Reef needed so I could just reprogram Apex dosing schedule by using the reeftronics.com OSC programming.

Anyone know the conversion ratio of BRS Liquid Soda ash to All4Reef?

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone suggested I dose the All For Reef. Because my chaeto kept dying. Also my calcium was dropping quite rapidly. I think this product contains iron. Also I noticed it contains a lot more calcium than alkalinity. This product doesn’t seem to raise alkalinity at all. Before dosing my calcium was at 380. Dkh was at 9. A day after dosing this all for reef. Calcium jumped up to 420 and stayed at 9. This all for reef seems confusing because parameters aren’t stable when using it. You need to use the balling part a and b also. Which is the calcium and the alkalinity. So if you notice alkalinity is dropping then you should dose the all for reef and add a little bit more of the balling B. Which is the alkalinity. That way you get a little bit more alkalinity and you also get the trace elements and the magnesium. It’s just very confusing and expensive when you can just dose everything separately anyways. All for reef won’t help you get your levels to where you want them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone suggested I dose the All For Reef. Because my chaeto kept dying. Also my calcium was dropping quite rapidly. I think this product contains iron. Also I noticed it contains a lot more calcium than alkalinity. This product doesn’t seem to raise alkalinity at all. Before dosing my calcium was at 380. Dkh was at 9. A day after dosing this all for reef. Calcium jumped up to 420 and stayed at 9. This all for reef seems confusing because parameters aren’t stable when using it. You need to use the balling part a and b also. Which is the calcium and the alkalinity. So if you notice alkalinity is dropping then you should dose the all for reef and add a little bit more of the balling B. Which is the alkalinity. That way you get a little bit more alkalinity and you also get the trace elements and the magnesium. It’s just very confusing and expensive when you can just dose everything separately anyways. All for reef won’t help you get your levels to where you want them.

Let's work through some possible misunderstandings.

1. I cannot see it benefiting chaetomorpha, and wouldn't use it for that reason.

2. The formate in it will not show on an alk test when first aadded. It takes tiem for it to be metabolized. When you first use it and may not have bacteria that like to eat it, that process may take even longer than it does in routine use. I would guess that in routine use it is consumed in less than a day, releasing any alk it provides.

3. You overdosed if you added enough to boost calcium by 40 ppm. That would boost alk by about 5.6 dKH. Perhaps part of the 40 ppm calcium rise is test error.

4. You should not need additional alk supplements. The balling alk part is also not a trace element supplement, nor does it add magnesium.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on month 3 switching from seachem fusion 2 part. Dose 12ml a day and big 3 are extremely stable. After 2 weeks I add a little Alk to bring back up but it only drops .3 DKH. Very very happy So far going to do an icp next month to see how trace looks. I stopped dosing that too when I started AFR

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back