Calling the Tang Police, need help.

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had velvet wipe out most of the fish in my 120 gallon. I have been able to save my Purple Tang, Kole Tang, male clown, checkerboard wrasse, and kind of my rabbitfish (he's still in the DT for the last week and a half and I can't catch him). The others are all in QT and seem to be okay. I'm trying to decide if I want to downgrade tank size or possibly give up the hobby for a while. If I down size, what would be the minimum tank size for the Purple tang or the kole tang. I'm trying to have a tank that's a little less time consuming on maintenance. The reason I'm considering giving up is because I've had velvet twice and book once. I did QT prior to this last round of velvet, but obviously I messed up somewhere during the process. I feel my tank has been fallow more than full.

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had velvet wipe out most of the fish in my 120 gallon. I have been able to save my Purple Tang, Kole Tang, male clown, checkerboard wrasse, and kind of my rabbitfish (he's still in the DT for the last week and a half and I can't catch him). The others are all in QT and seem to be okay. I'm trying to decide if I want to downgrade tank size or possibly give up the hobby for a while. If I down size, what would be the minimum tank size for the Purple tang or the kole tang. I'm trying to have a tank that's a little less time consuming on maintenance.
How long is your 120.
kole should be ok in 48”. May need to rehome as it grows.
Purple if small you have some time in 48”

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D1F85525-4E11-4A8B-A1BC-F19074DB6D97.jpeg

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but has a list of tangs and tank sizes

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a YT in my 90 for 16 years. The dude loves his experience here...about 4.5 inches in his old age. How large is the Purple? Kole could 'likely ' survive a smaller existence. Don't give up, get back up on the pony rather than the horse in this case as you desire, and ride!!!

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a YT in my 90 for 16 years. The dude loves his experience here...about 4.5 inches in his old age. How large is the Purple? Kole could 'likely ' survive a smaller existence. Don't give up, get back up on the pony rather than the horse in this case as you desire, and ride!!!
Thanks! The kole is about 4.5 inches and the Purple 3.5in.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 120 is 6 feet long. I'm not necessarily stuck on keeping them, was just curious if I could get away with something smaller.
Going down to a 4’ wouldn’t save you much less maintenance in my eyes. How small you looking to go. If smaller then 4’ and fish are tiny you would have a short time most likely before they will want out

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back