Calling the Tang Police, need help.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The kole is about 4.5 inches and the Purple 3.5in.
In a 90, you may be able to pull it off? The depth is pretty good, you just won't have the same length. I say do it. Even a 75, whatever, just give it a go if you want to downsize. You'll know if they aren't happy. 3.5 inches for a purple is not large by any means and the Kole I wouldn't think will grow much more....

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going down to a 4’ wouldn’t save you much less maintenance in my eyes. How small you looking to go. If smaller then 4’ and fish are tiny you would have a short time most likely before they will want out
True....when I went from 75 to 90, I actually found it easier to maintain my parameters.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going down to a 4’ wouldn’t save you much less maintenance in my eyes. How small you looking to go. If smaller then 4’ and fish are tiny you would have a short time most likely before they will want out
I’m considering a 40g plus sump to help with maintaining parameters. Obviously if I went that small, the tangs would need to go. But if I could get away with a 60 or 75, then I would consider that.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering a 40g plus sump to help with maintaining parameters. Obviously if I went that small, the tangs would need to go. But if I could get away with a 60 or 75, then I would consider that.
75 gallon but 4’ should be good for the kole. Purple I can’t speak for but it should be ok for awhile At very least. You have the fish why not ride it out. With a fish trap it should be an easy catch with bait if need be down the road.

It’s more the length that they want then water an I think 4’ is the shortest but some have luck with 3’. I think 3’ you might be pushing it

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon but 4’ should be good for the kole. Purple I can’t speak for but it should be ok for awhile At very least. You have the fish why not ride it out. With a fish trap it should be an easy catch with bait if need be down the road.

It’s more the length that they want then water an I think 4’ is the shortest but some have luck with 3’. I think 3’ you might be pushing it
I actually used a DIY fish trap to catch him the last time I went fallow. Tried it this time and he won’t go near it. I’m going to give it another shot. Thanks for all the advice.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually used a DIY fish trap to catch him the last time I went fallow. Tried it this time and he won’t go near it. I’m going to give it another shot. Thanks for all the advice.
Some do learn. Let him/her get hungry while your trap is in the tank to get use to it then bait it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that although tank size is primarily about swimming room, there are other factors as well. A six foot tank stuffed to the gills with rocks and corals may well have less swimming room than a four foot tank with a more minimalist aquascape. Purple is among the more aggressive of tangs, so restricted space is likely to manifest more quickly in undesirable behaviors.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back