Came in on TBS rock.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just saw this on some TBS base rock that’s been in my tank for a month. I am hoping that’s it’s a cucumber. I thought it might have been some type of sea star when I saw it had a uniform shape of legs. When I touched it it started to retreat. I believe this is just its head. It’s about the size of a golf ball with what I think are two antennae the size of my fingers. (Slug like). This was the best pic I could get so far from the angle but don’t want to do anything if it may pollute the tank.

I’ll try and get a better pic.

Doesn’t look like a typical cucumber.

Any ideas?

IMG_0402.jpeg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. so I’m looking under the rock where the other end would be and see this. Has a claw, and some sort of fan to catch stuff in the water. Blue and white video. Not ready to stick me hand in there yet.

I included what’s above it. Thinking two different stuff. Cucumber on top and maybe mantis but seems to have a crab style claw, not a shrimp style.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.mov
    17.1 MB
  • IMG_0410.mov
    43.1 MB
  • IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 86

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, looks like a siphon. I have gotten lots of porcelain crabs on TBS rock too. They wave fans all day to catch food.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just saw this on some TBS base rock that’s been in my tank for a month. I am hoping that’s it’s a cucumber. I thought it might have been some type of sea star when I saw it had a uniform shape of legs. When I touched it it started to retreat. I believe this is just its head. It’s about the size of a golf ball with what I think are two antennae the size of my fingers. (Slug like). This was the best pic I could get so far from the angle but don’t want to do anything if it may pollute the tank.

I’ll try and get a better pic.

Doesn’t look like a typical cucumber.

Any ideas?

IMG_0402.jpeg
Try getting the phone closer to the subject and don't zoom. That's supposed to help improve these kinds of photos.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. so I’m looking under the rock where the other end would be and see this. Has a claw, and some sort of fan to catch stuff in the water. Blue and white video. Not ready to stick me hand in there yet.

I included what’s above it. Thinking two different stuff. Cucumber on top and maybe mantis but seems to have a crab style claw, not a shrimp style.
the two videos are a porcelain crab. cool little hitchhikers, we got like a dozen with our TBS rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Looks like a galatheid crab or pebble crabs which ive seen in Florida waters.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting the phone closer to the subject and don't zoom. That's supposed to help improve these kinds of photos.
Un zoomed. White lights. Looks like antennae, not tunicate.?

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 142

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had a coral viewer. Top down pic would be great. I'll shut the pump off and see if that helps.
Dive mask, Mason Jar, some plastic kitchen untensile my wife lost all can act as a "viewer" to supply a calm surface to look through.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting tunicate. I have something very similar from my TBS rocks. I can't see from the angle, but mine has a larger siphon hole and a smaller in the back. They do pretty well as long as they don't get covered by anything. Valonia can stick to them and cover them up, so best to keep Valonia in check. Overall neat little addition to a tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back