OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting tunicate. I have something very similar from my TBS rocks. I can't see from the angle, but mine has a larger siphon hole and a smaller in the back. They do pretty well as long as they don't get covered by anything. Valonia can stick to them and cover them up, so best to keep Valonia in check. Overall neat little addition to a tank.
hopefully it is one. at first to looked manmade it was so uniform and thought maybe knob star. but when I went to touch it it retracted. if it is, spot dose with phyto? I have an order of Dinkin's coming this week.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that looks like a solitary tunicate to me.
hopefully it is one. at first to looked manmade it was so uniform and thought maybe knob star. but when I went to touch it it retracted. if it is, spot dose with phyto? I have an order of Dinkin's coming this week.
Yeah, you'd feed the phyto into the flow that blows into the tunicate if you want to try and help it do well.
Much better with pump off. Is that a claw sticking out the left side?
Yeah, that looks like a crab or similar claw to me.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, looks like a siphon. I have gotten lots of porcelain crabs on TBS rock too. They wave fans all day to catch food.
Sorry to interject here, but maybe you can help me. I started a small tank with TBS rock and sand, been running since November 13th. Within the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed at least three individual small crabs. I have never been able to get a great look at them, but I had feared these were gorilla crabs. I can definitely see them waving their little wavers all day long, as you said. Do gorilla crabs also exhibit this behavior? If not, then maybe I do have porcelain crabs after all, which would be great. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to interject here, but maybe you can help me. I started a small tank with TBS rock and sand, been running since November 13th. Within the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed at least three individual small crabs. I have never been able to get a great look at them, but I had feared these were gorilla crabs. I can definitely see them waving their little wavers all day long, as you said. Do gorilla crabs also exhibit this behavior? If not, then maybe I do have porcelain crabs after all, which would be great. Thanks for your help!
I think Gorillas look like they have their claws dipped in chocolate.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Gorillas look like they have their claws dipped in chocolate.
Hmmm, thank you. I can’t say I’ve gotten a good look at their claws. They are always in a dark nook of rock, and if I hit them with a flashlight they quickly retreat further into the rock. I can see their little waivers going, that’s how I first spotted them.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, thank you. I can’t say I’ve gotten a good look at their claws. They are always in a dark nook of rock, and if I hit them with a flashlight they quickly retreat further into the rock. I can see their little waivers going, that’s how I first spotted them.
I like the chocolate dipped claw description, it's spot on, plus they don't wave. If they are waving and hanging out upside down they are good guys.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got one! What do you guys think?

EDIT: I tried posting a short video, is it not working?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thank you for the confirmation! Sorry if I posted the video wrong.
No problem - lots of people struggle to upload videos on the forum here. Most people I've seen upload them to YouTube and then link them here, or they just post it as a downloadable video like yours.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem - lots of people struggle to upload videos on the forum here. Most people I've seen upload them to YouTube and then link them here, or they just post it as a downloadable video like yours.
Thank you again! I didn’t even think to post it at YouTube first.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
86495092-9DDD-4257-AF2A-9EDB66679328.jpeg
1924E38D-F634-4DB2-A961-099824842970.jpeg

Porcelain Crab These reef safe crabs are fascinating to observe filtering water for tiny tidbits. They are frequent hitchhikers on TBS live rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back