TBS arrived yesterday. What is this?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TBS arrived yesterday. Good thing I have another reef tank because it arrived with too many rocks (it’s a good thing). I got the all in one package they offer. Wondering if someone would help me ID these corals. They almost look like zoas but have a spongy surround. Under the UV lights they have a glowing center, like a zoa but no skirt. Also this one wide bit of coral I can’t identify either.

Thanks!
IMG_3041.jpeg
IMG_3043.jpeg

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine
This is the Oculina that came on my rock, looks close to your pic IMG_1285.JPG
Mine doesn’t have the little frills but it’s been less than 24 hours. Very nice little bonus! So many cool things like feather dusters and a few emerald crabs hiding among the nooks and crannies

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine

Mine doesn’t have the little frills but it’s been less than 24 hours. Very nice little bonus! So many cool things like feather dusters and a few emerald crabs hiding among the nooks and crannies
yeah this stuff is amazing, I have an oyster, an urchin, tons of starfish, really too much stuff to list! This is the oyster.

Attachments

• IMG_0421.MOV
    3.8 MB

Tommypantsmagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first shipment of base rock came with some cool hitchhiker corals and a few hermit crabs and maybe a few gorilla crabs as well. It was fun watching the rock over the first week and seeing everything pop up as it settled in. Our shipment of premium rock is where the real fun started. Awesome sponges, tons of beautiful tunicates, bivalves, porcelain crabs, and a couple decorator crabs all showed their faces at first. We also had three Mantis shrimp pop up, two red one green. Our biggest and coolest surprise was found when we were unpacking the rock. While poking and prodding with some wooden kebab skewers (invaluable tools) something swatted at the skewer. That was when we realized we had an octopus hitch a ride! Luckily we got it out and found a place for it at an LFS, which is also where two of the three Mantis went. We love our rock from TBS and quite a few times said that it made us feel like we were getting into the hobby for the first time again with all the new and neat stuff we were finding.

Also, almost all of the tunicates, sponges, and ALL of the corals that came on the rocks are happy and healthy. Our tank had almost no perceivable cycle and our fish and coral are happy.

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first shipment of base rock came with some cool hitchhiker corals and a few hermit crabs and maybe a few gorilla crabs as well. It was fun watching the rock over the first week and seeing everything pop up as it settled in. Our shipment of premium rock is where the real fun started. Awesome sponges, tons of beautiful tunicates, bivalves, porcelain crabs, and a couple decorator crabs all showed their faces at first. We also had three Mantis shrimp pop up, two red one green. Our biggest and coolest surprise was found when we were unpacking the rock. While poking and prodding with some wooden kebab skewers (invaluable tools) something swatted at the skewer. That was when we realized we had an octopus hitch a ride! Luckily we got it out and found a place for it at an LFS, which is also where two of the three Mantis went. We love our rock from TBS and quite a few times said that it made us feel like we were getting into the hobby for the first time again with all the new and neat stuff we were finding.

Also, almost all of the tunicates, sponges, and ALL of the corals that came on the rocks are happy and healthy. Our tank had almost no perceivable cycle and our fish and coral are happy.
In my humble opinion, the live rock and sand is the only way to go. I just discovered two new tank inhabitants last week that i have never seen in the almost 9 months I have spent enjoying this aquarium on a daily basis. Both welcome new discoveries. Tank cycled in 4 days, no ugly stage, no parameter issues... ALL hitchhikers, of which there are many have survived, all still contributing to my tank. The few bad hitchhikers that came with the rock were easily identified and removed. No brainer.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top pic is definitely a phyllangia, or Hidden Cup Coral.

Bottom pic is Oculina...you definitely scored some cool stuff from TBS.

You can always ask @LiverockRocks also.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back