Can’t Clean used Reef Tank Glas :/

s3leyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello dear community,

I have recently purchased a used Red Sea Nano Max aquarium. Unfortunately, I am having difficulties cleaning the glass. (see photo) I can't get the stains on the top of the aquarium out. What I have already tried:

Lemon with vinegar and salt

And then water with baking soda

The stains are no longer visible when they come into contact with water. However, they do not disappear. When the glass dries, everything is still there.
I therefore ask for your help. Do you know what this could be and how I can remove these stains?

Thank you very much
S3leyman

IMG_5265.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2Reef!

I'd try something like CLR or citric acid.

FWIW, I'm going to remove the emergency tag as cleaning glass is not it's intent. :)

Sandsquatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some citric acid, mix it with some water then using a spray bottle place paper towels over where you want to clean and spray your solution on to it so the paper towels stick in place. Leave for an hour or two and it should scrape off easily.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried wax paper and water it worked good for me cleaning my uv glass insert

OP
OP
S

s3leyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much everyone for your advices.
I have now bought citric acid and moistened paper towels with it and left it overnight.
Unfortunately, the stains are still there :(
(See photo). So do you think it’s a permanent haze like @NburgsReef mentioned ?
In your opinion, would it make sense to try hydrochloric (mutiatic) acid now?

Thank you very much.

IMG_5271.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much everyone for your advices.
I have now bought citric acid and moistened paper towels with it and left it overnight.
Unfortunately, the stains are still there :(
(See photo). So do you think it’s a permanent haze like @NburgsReef mentioned ?
In your opinion, would it make sense to try hydrochloric (mutiatic) acid now?

Thank you very much.

IMG_5271.jpeg
You can try muriatic acid. It might not work based on a recent experience. I have hinged glass covers over my aquarium that developed spots and a haze. Muriatic acid did not remove them. I have to wonder if glass can be etched by seawater.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try muriatic acid. It might not work based on a recent experience. I have hinged glass covers over my aquarium that developed spots and a haze. Muriatic acid did not remove them. I have to wonder if glass can be etched by seawater.
Did a quick search just now and found this technical paper

OP
OP
S

s3leyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium stood like this for a long time with the previous owner.

Interestingly, the stains are exactly in the area of the aquarium that was not under water.
Does this perhaps have something to do with it?

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpeg
    IMG_5273.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 27

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I already tried that
You've tried acid, you've tried scraping, have you tried a little bleach? One of those methods should shift it, I'd of thought.
Odd to think glass corrodes, lol.
The aquarium stood like this for a long time with the previous owner.

Interestingly, the stains are exactly in the area of the aquarium that was not under water.
Does this perhaps have something to do with it?
I think you may end up buying a roll of black vinyl tape to hide it, if nothing else works. It may look quite smart anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

s3leyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've tried acid, you've ried scraping, have you tried a little bleach? One of those methods should shift it, I'd of thought.

I think you may end up buying a roll of black vinyl tape to hide it, if nothing else works. It may look quite smart anyway.
I haven't tried the bleach yet. So I need to apply the bleach to a cloth and wipe the glass with it? The other question 8% or 12% bleach? Thank you very much.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried the bleach yet. So I need to apply the bleach to a cloth and wipe the glass with it? The other question 8% or 12% bleach? Thank you very much.
More is, well, MORE. I'd use a little of the highest strength I could find, but it's probably just a last gasp hope, to be honest. I feel you should try it though, just before you order some vynil, lol.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a permanent haze that wont go away. this happens on pretty much ALL aquariums that are used for LONG time periods (like 10 years plus) my old freshwater tanks have it, my biocube has it (still in use with the original model) and even my Newish 5 years old custom 210 tank has it. Its always at the water line and its only visible when the tank is dry though so you wont see it when the tank is running.

Not really. ALL materials corrode and weather away over time. its just that the timescale for glass is ALOT longer than most things. there is NO material that is inert to everything.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recommended this product to use on severely stained windows, from hard water, instead of replacement from a window company. They said that they use it all of the time to clean the water stains, I tried it and it really does work. I haven’t tried it on my tank yet, but it does state that it is aquarium safe. I get it through Amazon. It might be worth a shot.
IMG_6703.jpeg
IMG_6704.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back