Can’t figure out what this is or why I have it!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this algae outbreak and can’t figure out why. There are small balls of it on the sandbed and it’s stuck to the rocks. Here are my parameters:

NO3 .3ppm
PO4 .03ppm
Silica: 0

All other parameters are normal. Alk dropped to the 7 range for several weeks when I didn’t realize my dosing pump wasn’t primed, but now it’s back to normal.

Things I’ve tried so far:

Changed out RODI filters as I wasn’t getting 0 TDS any longer. Just did this so we’ll see if it was my source water. Never has been before and I’ve had the tank 6 years. The old filters is why I checked for silica. RODI water is now at 0 TDS

Adding two more emerald crabs for a total of three. Still waiting to see if they’ll eat it. Also added a Foxface.

I’m thinking my nutrients are low because they’re feeding the algae. I don’t over feed, nothing has changed on that front. The tank is well stocked with coral so they consume a large amount of nutrients too.

Daily water changes adding to 5g/wk (tank is 40g). Again, been doing this for a long time so nothing new.

All of my corals are doing great. So far the algae isn’t affecting them.

Does anyone know what this might be and how to treat it? I know low nutrients can cause problems too, so I don’t want to start fiddling with anything until I can figure out what’s going on.

Should I turn off the lights for a day or two? Just wait it out? Any other ideas? Sorry for being long-winded, but I know the more info I give the easier it is to help. Thanks I’m advance!!
IMG_1270.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same algae issue in my tank right now. Reminds me of tumble weeds lol. It is persistent though and much the same as you, nothing much has changed but yet it's there.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with algae outbreaks in a saltwater aquarium can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to address the issue. Here are some suggestions:

1. Nutrient management: While your nutrient levels appear to be within acceptable ranges, it's possible that the relative imbalance between nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) is contributing to the algae growth. Consider adjusting your nutrient levels by increasing the amount of phosphate or nitrate if necessary. Keeping a balanced ratio between the two can help prevent excessive algae growth.
  2. Increase water flow and circulation: Algae thrives in stagnant areas with low water flow. Ensure that your aquarium has adequate water movement and circulation to prevent dead spots where nutrients can accumulate and promote algae growth. Consider adjusting the placement of powerheads or adding additional circulation pumps if needed.
  3. Clean the affected areas: Manual removal of the algae can help reduce its presence in the tank. Gently scrub the rocks and sandbed to remove as much algae as possible without disturbing the corals. Perform regular maintenance to keep the tank clean and prevent excessive buildup.
  4. Consider chemical filtration: Utilizing a protein skimmer or other forms of chemical filtration, such as activated carbon or phosphate-removing media, can help in reducing excess nutrients in the water column. These filtration methods can assist in maintaining optimal water quality and minimizing the conditions that promote algae growth.
  5. Evaluate lighting: Assess the intensity and duration of your aquarium lighting. Algae can thrive under certain lighting conditions. If you have strong lighting, you may want to reduce the intensity or shorten the photoperiod temporarily to discourage algae growth. Some hobbyists also find success by implementing a "lights out" period for a day or two to help control algae growth.
  6. Monitor and adjust: Continuously monitor your tank parameters, nutrient levels, and algae growth. Make adjustments as necessary based on the results you observe. Patience and consistency are key in addressing algae issues, as it may take time to find the right balance for your specific aquarium.
If the problem persists or worsens, it may be helpful to consult with experienced reef-keeping communities or local aquarium professionals who can provide further guidance based on your specific setup and circumstances.
Thanks!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with algae outbreaks in a saltwater aquarium can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to address the issue. Here are some suggestions:

1. Nutrient management: While your nutrient levels appear to be within acceptable ranges, it's possible that the relative imbalance between nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) is contributing to the algae growth. Consider adjusting your nutrient levels by increasing the amount of phosphate or nitrate if necessary. Keeping a balanced ratio between the two can help prevent excessive algae growth.
  2. Increase water flow and circulation: Algae thrives in stagnant areas with low water flow. Ensure that your aquarium has adequate water movement and circulation to prevent dead spots where nutrients can accumulate and promote algae growth. Consider adjusting the placement of powerheads or adding additional circulation pumps if needed.
  3. Clean the affected areas: Manual removal of the algae can help reduce its presence in the tank. Gently scrub the rocks and sandbed to remove as much algae as possible without disturbing the corals. Perform regular maintenance to keep the tank clean and prevent excessive buildup.
  4. Consider chemical filtration: Utilizing a protein skimmer or other forms of chemical filtration, such as activated carbon or phosphate-removing media, can help in reducing excess nutrients in the water column. These filtration methods can assist in maintaining optimal water quality and minimizing the conditions that promote algae growth.
  5. Evaluate lighting: Assess the intensity and duration of your aquarium lighting. Algae can thrive under certain lighting conditions. If you have strong lighting, you may want to reduce the intensity or shorten the photoperiod temporarily to discourage algae growth. Some hobbyists also find success by implementing a "lights out" period for a day or two to help control algae growth.
  6. Monitor and adjust: Continuously monitor your tank parameters, nutrient levels, and algae growth. Make adjustments as necessary based on the results you observe. Patience and consistency are key in addressing algae issues, as it may take time to find the right balance for your specific aquarium.
If the problem persists or worsens, it may be helpful to consult with experienced reef-keeping communities or local aquarium professionals who can provide further guidance based on your specific setup and circumstances.
I’ll try adding nitrates. The confusing thing is that my nutrients never got out of control. It’s counterintuitive to add nitrates for an algae problem, but I’ve added them before to combat other things.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 76.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back