Can’t get apex to connect back to the net!

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a full on firmware bug to me.

The memory can get corrupted for any number of reasons. It's a similar deal on computer motherboards. If the bios is corrupted you need to switch over to backup or get the factory manufacturer to reset it. The reset button seems like it can perform this action without having to send the unit back.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips?

I’ve rebooted the apex a few time, unplugged it, used the reset hole pin etc.

Checked the net settings, reset the net etc as well.

Mine has been doing this as well. I have to set up a meeting with neptune to get to the bottom of it. If you hit the reset button and hold it down the apex light will turn blue. Then use a wifi device that is disconnected from the internet and locate the apex local signal. This will get you back in. Unfortunately, it will likely disconnect again. You will however be able to make adjustments and take your readings.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a known issue and appears to be something Neptune is refusing to deal with in a software update

i have a thread specifically on this issue that I requested direct help with, and no Neptune associated user has commented.

Apex classic, hardwired.

I had a power cut on monday, and after power was restored, my apex refused to reconnect to the internet - no fusion, no local access. I could only get it to reconnect by removing all aquabus cables attached to the head unit, powering down the unit. Waiting 2 minutes, then reconnected the aquabus. Connection achieved 2 minutes later.

I recreated the problem, but only if the router and apex were powered down at the same time. Ie, such as what happens in a powercut. Power cycling just the apex itself led to no issue.

it appears that upon power restoration after a full power cut, the apex requests an ip address/ attempts to connect before the router has time to establish connection and start issuing connection credentials. unfirtunately, this will lead to a failed connection, but the apex won't try to then re-attempt a connection.

If the router powers up a couple minutes before the apex and is given time to connect to the internet before the apex is powered on, there is no issue. Fusion and local connection as expected

Solution: UPS on router so that internet connectivity is available when the apex reboots.

Here's my issue with that. Why do we need to spend another $100-150 on a solution for a problem that my $29 Wi-Fi webcam doesn't have, but my $300 apex head unit does? Why does every single other piece of networked gear in my house reconnect automatically after power restoration? Why does the apex not reattempt a connection if the first one times out and connection is unsuccessful?

Anyway, apologies for the diatribe. Just getting a little frustrate d at the lack of input or comment from Neptune associates, or the fact that this is even an issue at all.

kinda pointless having a remote monitoring and control system that has a major failure mode that could literally lead to my tank getting completely destroyed if I suffer a power cut at the worst possible time. Luckily I was home this past monday. If it had happened two weeks previously when on vacation, it's very likely id be coming home to a dead tank

And this isn't an isolated incident either. There are several threads in the Neptune forums with the same or similar issue with a total lack of input from Neptune. I find that pretty unacceptable.

@Terence
@NeptunePaul

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it appears that upon power restoration after a full power cut, the apex requests an ip address/ attempts to connect before the router has time to establish connection and start issuing connection credentials. unfirtunately, this will lead to a failed connection, but the apex won't try to then re-attempt a connection.

I believe this is the issue - that the head unit is requesting credentials too early. It doesn’t seem like everyone has this problem, so I wonder if it may be partly specific router brands/models that allow the Apex to connect before they can handle the connection, if they start broadcasting the network ID before they’re ready to accept connections, or if the Apex sees the connection, tries once then gives up if the connection can’t be made.

It seems like a simple firmware setting that tells the Apex to delay connecting for xx minutes would work. I can see why Neptune didn’t make it standard, though - if they had, they’d be flooded by complaints that it was taking too long to connect.

I ended up just using a wired connection because I had one available and wired is always more reliable than wireless, but not everyone has that option and they should be able to make the wireless connection work.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue for me is that my apex IS hardwired.

Anyway- here’s the fix if anyone is interested.

Now- since I tested it, and my fallback ON statement means nothing and my return pump still turned off/ I have to go deal with a clownfish with a popped eyeball due to the rides to the sump down the return line it just took

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you wasn't on vacation. That could have been bad.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah/ I hit back from an 18 day trip 2 weeks ago

Other forum members weren’t so lucky
A network connection is not required for the Apex to function. The Apex should work fine whether it’s connected to the network or not. If it doesn’t, there’s something else going on.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A network connection is not required for the Apex to function. The Apex should work fine whether it’s connected to the network or not. If it doesn’t, there’s something else going on.
Sure, understood. But why pay so much for something we are supposed to be able to monitor, but can’t.

Additionally- m return pump is on an outlet with a Fallback :ON condition. During the powercut, and the test, the outlet blipped OFF when the head unit reconnected to the internet (Ethernet port flashed green) . My pump turned off, then back on a couple seconds later. Doesn’t sound that bad, but my skimmer will overflow and my ATO activate until the level in the return chamber settles.

During the test today- my clown was next to the return pipe. It’s now recovering from a lost eye in the hospital tank.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, understood. But why pay so much for something we are supposed to be able to monitor, but can’t.

Additionally- m return pump is on an outlet with a Fallback :ON condition. During the powercut, and the test, the outlet blipped OFF when the head unit reconnected to the internet (Ethernet port flashed green) . My pump turned off, then back on a couple seconds later. Doesn’t sound that bad, but my skimmer will overflow and my ATO activate until the level in the return chamber settles.

During the test today- my clown was next to the return pipe. It’s now recovering from a lost eye in the hospital tank.
Hey @neilp2006, my electricity just blipped. Everything came back on in my house, but my Apex controller didn’t. I reset it with a paper clip, but I am gone a lot, for weeks at a time. I am relatively new to this Apex thing, but wondering what I can do so it comes back on after a power blip. I have the new 2016 apex and it runs off my WiFi. Please let me know if there is something I can try so my apex comes back on after a power blip. Thanks!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @neilp2006, my electricity just blipped. Everything came back on in my house, but my Apex controller didn’t. I reset it with a paper clip, but I am gone a lot, for weeks at a time. I am relatively new to this Apex thing, but wondering what I can do so it comes back on after a power blip. I have the new 2016 apex and it runs off my WiFi. Please let me know if there is something I can try so my apex comes back on after a power blip. Thanks!
I don’t I Know man, I’m sorry... I have a classic. The reset button apparently was the design fix for this issue in the classic- but that doesn’t help when traveling. It’s absurd.

Really, the only thing people can do, is complain direct to Neptune. Reproduce the issue under test conditions, then report it. It’s a major design flaw which should not exist in this equipment.

I have a couple friends who are moving over to the profilux, because they’ve lost remote ability while traveling a few times too many.

Not saying that’s an economical solution, but companies sure do start to listen when the black line on their profit sheet starts going down...

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try powering the head unit from an independent smart switch so you can power cycle it using your phone.

I just don’t know if that would work to cut power if there’s are aquavus cables plugged into the EB832 since they normally provide power to the head unit. This would only work if plugging the power supply into the dc power port stops power coming in from the eb832.

I haven’t tried that with my eb8, because last time I tested the thing I almost lost one of my first fish.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t I Know man, I’m sorry... I have a classic. The reset button apparently was the design fix for this issue in the classic- but that doesn’t help when traveling. It’s absurd.

Really, the only thing people can do, is complain direct to Neptune. Reproduce the issue under test conditions, then report it. It’s a major design flaw which should not exist in this equipment.

I have a couple friends who are moving over to the profilux, because they’ve lost remote ability while traveling a few times too many.

Not saying that’s an economical solution, but companies sure do start to listen when the black line on their profit sheet starts going down...
Thank you. I’ll report it. They need to know.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Had to reset the net on my apex by doing the following:

1. Reset the apex via the pin hole holding for 8-10 seconds. Took me a few times and I had to unplug all the power to get it to go into net reset mode (blue status light)

2. Connected to the apex wifi in my wifi list.

3. Then my laptop or phone would not connect to local.apex so I had to get the IP address from my apex display. I then typed that into the address bar, after I connected to the apex wifi and then it allowed me to set it up again.

Thanks to @DarthSimon for walking me through!!

happened to me just a couple days ago as well. just out of the blue, apex disconnected from network. there was no power glitch or anything, everything else was working fine except my apex I could not access from work. When I got home, the light was blue, not orange, so I had to setup wifi again.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back