Can’t rayse

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 120 gallon SPS tank my calcium is around 320 and I keep upping the milliliters it’s up to 240 mL per day by alkalinity I dose 190 mL a day I can’t seem to raise my calcium. My alk is 9.2

do I just keep raising it it seems like a lot? I look for saturation I believe that’s what you call it my sand is not crumbling or hard.
I use BRS part two

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t change the subject line LOL

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Determine with a calculator the amount you need to dose to boost calcium to 420 ppm and add that manually over 4 days. Don’t set a doser for that because once reached the dose for maintenance will be far smaller.

That said, use that kit on some new salt water to convince yourself the calcium kit is working and the salinity and such is ok.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Determine with a calculator the amount you need to dose to boost calcium to 420 ppm and add that manually over 4 days. Don’t set a doser for that because once reached the dose for maintenance will be far smaller.

That said, use that kit on some new salt water to convince yourself the calcium kit is working and the salinity and such is ok.

thank you for the tip! I’ll work on that.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

randy , I got my calk up to 410. I noticed my corals are looking rough. I also noticed my alk is dropping, went from 8.5 to 7.2. Now that I’m dosing more calk is it normal my alk to drop? I’m trying to battle the alk now . Now daily I have 250 ml calk and 240 alk. Before the alk was at 220ml per day.

I have a ton of sps and corals in my tank.

thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I think I found my alk problem. Last night my alk was 7.2 9pm this morning was 9.4 9am.

im dosing my all at night and calk during the day.

should I be doing it though out the whole day??

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

I changed my dosing schedule to this. What do you think?

912934A3-9716-42C1-ACED-742DBC495B91.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, spreading out the alk additions, especially during the day, can reduce alk fluctuations which may stress corals.

raising calcium usually doesn’t impact alk consumption much, unless it is very low to begin with, where it might be limiting to coral growth.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, spreading out the alk additions, especially during the day, can reduce alk fluctuations which may stress corals.

raising calcium usually doesn’t impact alk consumption much, unless it is very low to begin with, where it might be limiting to coral growth.
Thanks, I got my calk up to 420. I will monitor daily for a week. Made adjustments to dosing schedule.

On the right track again!

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Red Sea kit seems to be correct. I bought a API it’s showing 480 cal. Red Sea shows 420.

the API shows 480 on my new salt and my Red Sea says 400.

I can’t believe API is off that much.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back