Can a baby blue hippo tang kill clownfish with its spines?

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all! So I have a blue hippo tang in my tank, I have had 3 clownfish die, and the hippo is the only other tankmate. Could this happen? Funny how before any hippo tang I bought died like a week later, and now the hippo is still alive eating and healthy and now any other fish I put in there with her ends up dead! She is in my 14 peninsula temporally, she is 1.5 in long, and I get my custom frag tank in the next 2 weeks and she will go in there till i get her next home.

But could she be doing that to my very expensive designer clown? And it also happened to my starry blenny!

Thank you
Lucas

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been apparent injury to the other fish? When a tang slashes, those slashes are usually pretty evident.

That little tang is going to want more space to maneuver, and relatively quickly - sometimes a confining environment can be enough to make a tang lash out.

~Bruce

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some snooping, I assume you mean a 140g peninsula (Red Sea 650). If it were your hippo killing your clownfish, you'd see gashes in them, and you'd probably notice the aggression before it got to that point. I kind of doubt that's your issue, I think you probably have something else going on.

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been apparent injury to the other fish? When a tang slashes, those slashes are usually pretty evident.

That little tang is going to want more space to maneuver, and relatively quickly - sometimes a confining environment can be enough to make a tang lash out.

~Bruce
I flushed it I diddnt get a good look at the victims, but that makes sense. I’m going to get a trio of chromis and see if that happens, if I see a slash on them she will be the only fish in that tank till my 4ft frag tank is set up and there she will have ample room to swim for a long time hopefully!
Thank you for the quick response!

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some snooping, I assume you mean a 140g peninsula (Redsea 650). If it were your hippo killing your clownfish, you'd see gashes in them, and you'd probably notice the aggression before it got to that point. I kind of doubt that's your issue, I think you probably have something else going on.
No the Innovatie marine 14 gallon pennisula, and u know what I have seen the hippo chase the clownfish, but I diddnt think much of it.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the Innovatie marine 14 gallon pennisula, and u know what I have seen the hippo chase the clownfish, but I diddnt think much of it.

Oh? Well 14g tank, aggression is highly likely. I'd hold off on adding anymore fish to that tank until you can rehome the hippo to your frag tank.

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh? Well 14g tank, aggression is highly likely. I'd hold off on adding anymore fish to that tank until you can rehome the hippo to your frag tank.
Ok, I rlly don’t care that I have fish in there or not I can focus more on my corals, but aslong as my hippo is good, that’s rlly what I care about mainly. But aggression seems to be the problem

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I rlly don’t care that I have fish in there or not I can focus more on my corals, but aslong as my hippo is good, that’s rlly what I care about mainly. But aggression seems to be the problem

You have a hippo tang in a 14 gallon tank...? This thread is probably about to turn into a riot. I want to be the first to nicely say that it is a bad idea and you should rehome that tang ASAP. Even when small, they are extremely active and I wouldn’t put one in less than 20 long and that’s very temporary, like QT temporary. Long term, that fish needs a tank that’s a bare minimum of 6 feet long and I still think that’s cutting it close. Please research carefully for what’s best for the animals you’re purchasing.

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a hippo tang in a 14 gallon tank...? This thread is probably about to turn into a riot. I want to be the first to nicely say that it is a bad idea and you should rehome that tang ASAP. Even when small, they are extremely active and I wouldn’t put one in less than 20 long and that’s very temporary, like QT temporary. Long term, that fish needs a tank that’s a bare minimum of 6 feet long and I still think that’s cutting it close. Please research carefully for what’s best for the animals you’re purchasing.
I have done my research, I’ve spent more hours researching all about this hobby more than I spend on my schoolwork that’s what I do in class all day long. Yes I know the tank is pretty small for the tang she will remain the only fish in the tank and as soon as I get the frag tank cycled she will be the first fish in there, i do weekly update videos on YouTube my handle on here is my channel, if u want I guess u can follow along to make sure on the health of the hippo. I’ve been watching her closely for the last 2 months and I’ve done more research on hippos, to future my knowledge on them! AGAIN I KNOW THAT PEOPLE HERE ARE GONNA WANNA BASH ME FOR THIS PLEASE DONT, I’ve gotten that bash many times before in the previous year.

ALSO to make this clear to anyone, who puts a bashful comment about the hippo and tank size, I posted this disscussion for a question which got pretty much answered, so thank you @Maritimer for helping me out! THAT AGRUMENT ISNT WORTH UR TIME NOR MINE TO GO BACK AND FOWARD!

That’s all
Lucas

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done my research, I’ve spent more hours researching all about this hobby more than I spend on my schoolwork that’s what I do in class all day long. Yes I know the tank is pretty small for the tang she will remain the only fish in the tank and as soon as I get the frag tank cycled she will be the first fish in there, i do weekly update videos on YouTube my handle on here is my channel, if u want I guess u can follow along to make sure on the health of the hippo. I’ve been watching her closely for the last 2 months and I’ve done more research on hippos, to future my knowledge on them! AGAIN I KNOW THAT PEOPLE HERE ARE GONNA WANNA BASH ME FOR THIS PLEASE DONT, I’ve gotten that bash many times before in the previous year.

ALSO to make this clear to anyone, who puts a bashful comment about the hippo and tank size, I posted this disscussion for a question which got pretty much answered, so thank you @Maritimer for helping me out! THAT AGRUMENT ISNT WORTH UR TIME NOR MINE TO GO BACK AND FOWARD!

That’s all
Lucas

Wasn’t arguing, just informing you. There are a lot of people who are going to be a lot less nice about this. For the record, a 4’ tank is still too small long term, but will likely suffice for 3-4 years.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 73 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back