Can a coral partially die?

PMReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2021
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
Location
Guatemala
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this hammer a long time and suddenly a couple of heads changed looked stressed but the other part looked normal. So my question is if can a coral die partially like the photo.

5DDF2F74-7C22-4AF9-BAAC-C9A1F2056E42.jpeg B84C77CA-486B-441B-AE0F-79F8BAB5C17B.jpeg
 
It can partially die, but that coral is VERY stressed and will likely completely die.

If it was doing well AND growing before and now it is doing this then something has changed and you need to quickly figure out what that is and then slowly return it to the place it was in before.

This is what is so frustrating about growing coral.
 
I have a hammer colony that had 2 heads shaded, and before I noticed, one head died and the other almost died. Since I moved them, the partially dead head has come back, and the dead head is growing 2 new heads out of it

So yes a coral can live when a part of it die's off, but it really depends on why it died off.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new