Can a Green Mandarin and Ruby Red Dragonet be in the same tank?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a Green Mandarin and Ruby Red Dragonet be in the same 32 gallon tank?

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it in a tank that small. Keeping pods supplied for one will be enough of a challenge.
Do they eat that many? Sheesh! How long do copepods need to be established in tank before adding mandarin? I literally just added them a few hours ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat that many? Sheesh! How long do copepods need to be established in tank before adding mandarin? I literally just added them a few hours ago.

They eat pods all day every day so you need to start loading pods and feed live phyto to feed them, I wouldn't try it with the mix of fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat pods all day every day so you need to start loading pods and feed live phyto to feed them, I wouldn't try it with the mix of fish.
Good to know! I only added 1 pack of pods. The guy at the store said I shouldn’t have to refill it once they start multiplying. What are your thoughts on that? Should I add another pack? I was planning on getting one today from out of town (hour or so away) or waiting for my LFS to order and get one closer. Any suggestions appreciated.

Upvote 0

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I only added 1 pack of pods. The guy at the store said I shouldn’t have to refill it once they start multiplying. What are your thoughts on that? Should I add another pack? I was planning on getting one today from out of town (hour or so away) or waiting for my LFS to order and get one closer. Any suggestions appreciated.

I would add more and feed them so they multiply faster.

Upvote 0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at Algaebarn and get a subscription for pods. Have them auto ship every month or so as a 32 gal tank will not likely be able to keep a sustainable population of pods.

Upvote 0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do. I have those fish in my tank but it is much bigger and older. I would not keep those types of fish if I had to buy pods and I never bought a pod in my life. An older, larger tank will just grow pods by the thousands all on their own so the fish can hunt all day.

Here I am supplementing them with a feeder I designed that feeds them new born brine shrimp. I only used that because I have so many pod eaters and I want all of them to spawn which they are.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do. I have those fish in my tank but it is much bigger and older. I would not keep those types of fish if I had to buy pods and I never bought a pod in my life. An older, larger tank will just grow pods by the thousands all on their own so the fish can hunt all day.

Here I am supplementing them with a feeder I designed that feeds them new born brine shrimp. I only used that because I have so many pod eaters and I want all of them to spawn which they are.

Thx for the video share! Glad to know they can be trained to eat normal food. I’ll work on that.

Upvote 0

jvfarrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul B,

would you be willing to share info about the feeder you designed to feed new born brine shrimp?

Upvote 0

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d put this link here - an old post from Paul.

Upvote 0

jvfarrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d put this link here - an old post from Paul.

Thanks! Great info!

Upvote 0

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank bred mandarin from biota would be a good option. My two eat frozen. Mandarins are difficult fish in the best of circumstances so a sustainable option is the best choice in my opinion. I still like to supplement with pods, but makes me feel better knowing they eat frozen brine as well. As a note--I see the male scarf down frozen. I've never seen the female eat any prepared foods. She probably does, but just heads up they're tricky fish!

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back