Can a kalk stirrer (Avast K1) replace 2 part dosing in a smaller system ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thank you so much Randy !

Just to eliminate that saturation variable, it seems the best way to do this is just use the Brute container method vs a stirrer or reactor, so I’m always using a fully saturated dosage.

Just seems like less hassle doing it this way as well. A 20 gal Brute container would last me dang near a month and a half !! Whole lot better than what I’m doing now mixing up these Brightwell products….

I used and prefer dosing from a reservoir like a Brute can (mine was 3 x 44 gallon brute cans plumbed together).

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used and prefer dosing from a reservoir like a Brute can (mine was 3 x 44 gallon brute cans plumbed together).
You must have a HUGE system ! I was thinking a 25gal Brute might even be too big for my 70gal system…lol.

So another question for ya…sorry.

How can I work my way into using using Kalk and backing off my dosing of the powder Brightwell alk and calc ? Cold turkey ? Seems risky…idk…

Both Alk/calc powder mixtures I’m mixing 50gr/Liter of RODI. (Just updated this from 40gr this evening as it was low and adjusted my dosage down as well)

I know I could work my way into it by testing a lot and starting at say half your recommendation of 1.55 liters (0.41 gallons) of saturated limewater, but having a starting point would be nice…

Or am I overthinking this? Just start dosing the 1.55L of Kalk, turn off the 2 part, and just start testing the alk/calc ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not risky to go cold turkey, but there's nothing wrong with starting by dropping a quarter of the two part and add a proportionally smaller amount of solid calcium hydroxide into the kalkwasser reservoir. One benefit of a reservoir approach is the ease of potency control just by what you initially add.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update for the next guy that’s asks this…

I did just go cold turkey using a 20gal brute container, using 16 of those gals. Started off at 1.5L of Kalk and eventually ended up at 2.6L and running it 24x7. dKh seems to hover around 8.0 which is fine for my system, but the PH has improved dramatically !

Everything seems to be fine with it in the tank….win, win !

Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley for your help again.

Another question for y’all…getting ready to refill the Brute container. Since I have it running on a 24hr schedule, how will I mix up a new batch ? The DOS runs every 11 mins, so when I mix a new batch, can I immediately start using this newly mixed batch, or does it have to set for a bit before use ?

Seems like my options are either buy another Brute container and have another batch already mixed and ready to go or adjust my schedule to allow a down time for the Kalk to settle ?

Attachments

• 1CE93751-A0BE-414E-A37D-4D911E1C2544.jpeg
    1CE93751-A0BE-414E-A37D-4D911E1C2544.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 6ED1C02D-6023-4F71-8D2D-0620A9671350.png
    6ED1C02D-6023-4F71-8D2D-0620A9671350.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DD42F057-E9C2-4D8C-A0A6-B20E3F7A7B08.png
    DD42F057-E9C2-4D8C-A0A6-B20E3F7A7B08.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 30

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update for the next guy that’s asks this…

I did just go cold turkey using a 20gal brute container, using 16 of those gals. Started off at 1.5L of Kalk and eventually ended up at 2.6L and running it 24x7. dKh seems to hover around 8.0 which is fine for my system, but the PH has improved dramatically !

Everything seems to be fine with it in the tank….win, win !

Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley for your help again.

Another question for y’all…getting ready to refill the Brute container. Since I have it running on a 24hr schedule, how will I mix up a new batch ? The DOS runs every 11 mins, so when I mix a new batch, can I immediately start using this newly mixed batch, or does it have to set for a bit before use ?

Seems like my options are either buy another Brute container and have another batch already mixed and ready to go or adjust my schedule to allow a down time for the Kalk to settle ?
The down time is the easy way, another container would be great if you have the space.
Not dosing kalk for a few hours shouldn’t matter much. You can also do a larger dose to compensate for the downtime once things are back up and running.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The down time is the easy way, another container would be great if you have the space.
Not dosing kalk for a few hours shouldn’t matter much. You can also do a larger dose to compensate for the downtime once things are back up and running.
So if I create a gap in my dosing schedule, say 3 hrs, would that be enough time for the Kalk to settle after mixing up a new batch ? You’re right, buying another container would be a pain cuz of the size of it. My garage is already a mess !!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I create a gap in my dosing schedule, say 3 hrs, would that be enough time for the Kalk to settle after mixing up a new batch ? You’re right, buying another container would be a pain cuz of the size of it. My garage is already a mess !!

Different calcium hydroxide materials have different settling rates. I usually let it settle overnight, but that may be overkill. If you did not want to stop dosing during that period, you can just put the dosing pump end into a bucket of kalkwasser (if dosing from a reservoir).

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS kalk and let it settle for 20 min to 30 min just based on when the timer will kick back on.

No doubt the way Randy Holmes-Farley does it is best practice.

I’m sure you already know this, but I haven’t seen it in this thread. Pull your kalk from above the bottom. You don’t want the slurry from the very bottom of the kalk reservoir.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see allowing it to settle for a brief period and resuming dosing would be any problem. Maybe I'm missing it, but after allowing to settle for a couple hours, I don't see a detriment to resuming your dosing schedule. I run a stirrer due to some space limitations, and start re-dosing shortly after cleaning out the container and mixing up a new batch.

I don't use kalk as my sole means of maintaining alk and calcium, but in my opinion the 3 hours you suggest exceeds my practice would be more than sufficient.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered going to a majors concentrated 2 part solution? I use Randy’s (BRS) and dose like 35ml each part on a 75g chock full of stony corals.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS kalk and let it settle for 20 min to 30 min just based on when the timer will kick back on.

No doubt the way Randy Holmes-Farley does it is best practice.

I’m sure you already know this, but I haven’t seen it in this thread. Pull your kalk from above the bottom. You don’t want the slurry from the very bottom of the kalk reservoir.
Perfect, as this is what I use as well, BRS pharma grade. And yes, I have my dosing hard line in the container about 2-3” above the bottom of the container. So I’ll just adjust my schedule on my Apex to allow me to mix up another batch….ez peezy.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered going to a majors concentrated 2 part solution? I use Randy’s (BRS) and dose like 35ml each part on a 75g chock full of stony corals.
I was dosing Brightwell products for both alk/calc, the powder type you mix up. I just got tired of constantly mixing it up, twice a week sometimes, missing the refilling causing an alk swing, etc. I’m a lazy reefer and that was becoming a pita. Now my Brute container will last me a month, plus the added bonus of the PH increase. I am at my max evaporation rate using Kalk, appx. 2.6 L…but Im good for now.
This is a Red Sea 250 setup full of stony corals…

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back