Can a Refugium be run ALL the time?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any cons to keeping the Refugium on all the time? pH is never too high, I over feed(working on it) and think it looks cool. Currently teeming with copepods and baby snails.
IMG_0521.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run mine on 24 hrs for a while with no issues. Currently on 12 hour cycles. I think some of the creatures are nocturnal. Fuge is a good place for critters. At times I think my fuge is more interesting than the DT
Micro brittle star are just one of the cool critters in mine
20230929_164608.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there any cons to keeping the Refugium on all the time? pH is never too high, I over feed(working on it) and think it looks cool. Currently teeming with copepods and baby snails.
IMG_0521.jpeg
Short answer - yes. Looking at yours - I might consider adding more flow. As it seems like some of your cheat is covered with something - or is not doing well. (I don't mean its bad - just it could be better?:)

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the lights? Otherwise this is very confusing.

I keep the lights on 24/7. Usually let the chaeto grow until it's a nice dense mat. Once the bottom starts to die off it's perfect.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the lights? Otherwise this is very confusing.

I keep the lights on 24/7. Usually let the chaeto grow until it's a nice dense mat. Once the bottom starts to die off it's perfect.
Yes, the lights. Bought a GRO with the initial setup. Then realized my protein skimmer was too big. HOB is the only option. The pump is always on. But it can be a bit noisy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, the lights. Bought a GRO with the initial setup. Then realized my protein skimmer was too big. HOB is the only option. The pump is always on. But it can be a bit noisy.
You can very easily leave your lights on 24/7.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer - yes. Looking at yours - I might consider adding more flow. As it seems like some of your cheat is covered with something - or is not doing well. (I don't mean it’s bad - just it could be better?:)
Great point. I have been looking for a small power head, but no luck. Darn this HOB nonsense. My skimmer was too big and crowded out my Refugium dreams. The stuff you see on the CHEATO is oxygen. There are little bubbles all over it. Some detritus on the bottom though. Cleaning it scares me. Don’t want to wipe out my pods. Cheers!

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point. I have been looking for a small power head, but no luck. Darn this HOB nonsense. My skimmer was too big and crowded out my Refugium dreams. The stuff you see on the CHEATO is oxygen. There are little bubbles all over it. Some detritus on the bottom though. Cleaning it scares me. Don’t want to wipe out my pods. Cheers!

Just clean carefully and the pods will be fine

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Last time I cleaned it was also the first time. So I was not sure.
We're supposed to clean our fuge? :face-with-open-mouth: My bristle worms are living in the crap on the bottom and they are oh so cute and I don't want to disturb they're habitat. ;)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP yes you can but why other then astetics? Most microfauna there are nocturnal so give them their night cover to proliferate your biome.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people look at chaeto as the main reason to have a fuge. Life forms are the reason I like a fuge. The nutrient removal of chaeto is not even noticeable on my systems but I have the chaeto so the critters have it to live in. These days I don't even harvest my chaeto untill it's over flowing. I hate even doing it then because I can never get all the brittle stars and pods out.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people look at chaeto as the main reason to have a fuge. Life forms are the reason I like a fuge. The nutrient removal of chaeto is not even noticeable on my systems but I have the chaeto so the critters have it to live in. These days I don't even harvest my chaeto untill it's over flowing. I hate even doing it then because I can never get all the brittle stars and pods out.
Same here, I see it as natural filtration and microfauna that eventually gets to my DT. I think the nutrients removal is exaggerate.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run mine on 24 hrs for a while with no issues. Currently on 12 hour cycles. I think some of the creatures are nocturnal. Fuge is a good place for critters. At times I think my fuge is more interesting than the DT
Micro brittle star are just one of the cool critters in mine
20230929_164608.jpg
Macro algae from what I understand photosynthesizes therefore needs night to exhale/process co2 and day to inhale/process o2

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back