Can a sea urchin eat an Anenome?

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long spine sea urchin and recently placed a new long tentacle anemone in the tank. He was super small and was settling in. Then yesterday in noticed the sea urchin in the exact same spot the LTA was in. Today the LTA is gone.

I also received 3 new BTA a few weeks ago. Again the smaller on was missing and I thought it was on the move but now I think the urchin could be to blame. Is this even possible :confused:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long spine sea urchin and recently placed a new long tentacle anemone in the tank. He was super small and was settling in. Then yesterday in noticed the sea urchin in the exact same spot the LTA was in. Today the LTA is gone.

I also received 3 new BTA a few weeks ago. Again the smaller on was missing and I thought it was on the move but now I think the urchin could be to blame. Is this even possible :confused:
Long spined sea urchins are not considered reef safe. And I do believe it is possible yes.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it looks like I'll be rehoming him this weekend!

I originally got him 3 years ago to help with a hair algae outbreak.

The tank now has almost no algae, I guess he is getting hungry and he has to go!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it looks like I'll be rehoming him this weekend!

I originally got him 3 years ago to help with a hair algae outbreak.

The tank now has almost no algae, I guess he is getting hungry and he has to go!
I found the safest sea urchins to be the tuxedo or the purple pin cushion. But they tend to knock things over particularly the purple pin cushion does that most often

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason I did not put him back in the main display was because he kept knocking stuff over.

I am adding nems to this old tank and decided to just leave the urchin in that one as he would not have anything to knock over.

I would have never imagined that he would eat an anemone, especially since they sting!

I also don't like him because I have to constantly check to see where he is when I have my hands in the tank. No urchins for me going forward.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day I was cleaning behind a rock formation and I did not know he dropped a spine. As I was reaching behind the rock I felt a sharp pain and then burning. I managed to get stung even though the urchin was on the other side.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day I was cleaning behind a rock formation and I did not know he dropped a spine. As I was reaching behind the rock I felt a sharp pain and then burning. I managed to get stung even though the urchin was on the other side.
Yeah that is why I'd never get a long spine urchin. I have always had the best luck with the tuxedo and the purple pin cushion. I have handled them many times and never got stung either.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both of these and still do in a 180 gallon reef tank full of acros, lps, a nem, zoas and softys without issue other than them knocking stuff over or transplanting zoas lol

Carlito5carnelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple pin cushion and a tuxedo. The purple was on top of my rose bubble tip anemone and the tuxedo keep going to the carpet anemone. I took the purple off but I'm wondering if I have to worry about them with my anenone?

Carlito5carnelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple pin cushion and a tuxedo. Today I found my purple pin cushion on top of my bubble tip anemone. So I took him off and put him on the other side of the tank. Do I need to be worried? Also the tuxedo keeps sitting right next to my carpet anemone. I'm hoping that they don't eat each other. Any opinions?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back