Can a sump be too big?

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on slowly buying all the equipment for a 180 gallon DT, and I'm going to build my own sump. I've got a 40B and a 55 gallon tank that I have no other use for, and had thought about using for a sump. In looking at dimensions though, I think I'd rather have a 75 gallon tank for my sump so space would never be an issue, and clearly more water = more stability. The plan is to have the sump on the other side of the wall, so space under a stand is no issue. My question is if at some point a sump can become too big and cause any sort of issues.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No your just going to have a larger tank which is better. Alot of people who have multiple tanks connect them to make them more stable. The only downside I could potentially see is bigger water changes.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on slowly buying all the equipment for a 180 gallon DT, and I'm going to build my own sump. I've got a 40B and a 55 gallon tank that I have no other use for, and had thought about using for a sump. In looking at dimensions though, I think I'd rather have a 75 gallon tank for my sump so space would never be an issue, and clearly more water = more stability. The plan is to have the sump on the other side of the wall, so space under a stand is no issue. My question is if at some point a sump can become too big and cause any sort of issues.

I'm thinking 75G Sump and 55G Fuge ;Smuggrin

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now your talking. that is honestly a really good idea have a macro algea habitat growing off your reef. Making a true ecosystem. That imo is the best approach to reef aquariums.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is almost the size of my display tank. I have a 180 DT and a 150 sump. I see no downside to a bigger sump, except larger water changes. I also run a 75 and a 40 fuge. The more water the better. I have my setup in my basement so if you have the space to support multiple tanks and a large sump, I say do it.
3E16D0B0-4F42-4A7E-B43E-E277D1B01FD9.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking 75G Sump and 55G Fuge ;Smuggrin
My buddy is doing the same with his 180. He is putting in a 90g sump and I'm trying to convince him to do a 50 horse trough macro tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think there’s a point where size becomes cost prohibitive in terms of both heating and replacing water and salt.
Obviously bigger is better but when we get beyond double, not sure that the additional cost is worth it.

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm pretty new to the hobby, and this is going to be my first reef tank with a sump. What would I utilize all the space in the sump for then, if the fuge wasn't part of it? Would it just be open space?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm pretty new to the hobby, and this is going to be my first reef tank with a sump. What would I utilize all the space in the sump for then, if the fuge wasn't part of it? Would it just be open space?
What ever you want it to be. Extra rock, fuge a place for a krackin frag system.

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you want it to be. Extra rock, fuge a place for a krackin frag system.
I guess I hadn't thought about a frag system. I've been doing a lot of research on the super basic things, and haven't gotten to stuff like that that I see as something further down the road. I'll look into it!

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help with dead spots in the sump you can always add in some pumps in the sump. I use a MJ in my 40B to help keep things suspended in the water column. I would definitely consider using a powerhead in the sump if you were going to have a decent sized section for LR. this will help keep the flow moving between the rock work.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two stacked forties for my 150 gallon display. If I had more room in my utily I’d of gone bigger.

1B117B20-1C1F-415C-8746-1E07C2D93B7B.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old saw more water = more stable gets trotted out with regularity. Diminished ‘returns’ as you get into larger tank sizes. I had a connected 120XH refugium that I removed from my system and guess which turned out to true? Stability in my system went all to hell or it make no appreciable difference. No particular downside to a larger sump, but also no real point in more volume just for the sake of more volume. Now, if you need more space for equipment, or think you might want a refugium or space for frags, go for it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back