Can a tank be poisoned by oxygen?

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read, and subsequently forgotten the post, that describes boosting oxygen in a saltwater aquarium to help a fish with gill damage. I believe an oxygen concentrator (Google this, I think it is a medical device for people) was used, not pure oxygen.
I use an oxygen concentrator at work. It produces 95 to 98% oxygen for medical devices. Would he expensive to ise on for this purpose, the small porable ones are cheap, but they arent going to have much impact on a tank. Plus if you keep it in the room with the tank.....mechanical effeciency and all, it'll negate the benefit if any.

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's a crazy idea to use oxygen, I was looking to not have to run a bigger line for outdoor air. I think I can get a big oxygen tank for cheap from my cousin who owes me a favor. Lazy me. I've played with ozone in the past, not going there again, too risky.

The sparge effect. Thanks for that link malcontent, that's what I was thinking O2 would do to remove CO2. But sometimes things are not as I would assume, such as kalkwasser being more concentrated in cold water.

Anyway, removing CO2 is my goal. I am going to set up a wet/dry filter and pump outdoor air in through the bottom, letting it escape from a loosely fitting lid. I'm looking at a 12V blower and also want a speed controller for it. I'll check the pH of the effluent and run the blower no harder than is necessary.

It will be a while before I get this thing running but whether it's a total bust or works like a champ, I'll post the result. BTW, I don't have a skimmer and don't plan on getting one.

Thanks for kicking this around!

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's a crazy idea to use oxygen, I was looking to not have to run a bigger line for outdoor air. I think I can get a big oxygen tank for cheap from my cousin who owes me a favor. Lazy me. I've played with ozone in the past, not going there again, too risky.

The sparge effect. Thanks for that link malcontent, that's what I was thinking O2 would do to remove CO2. But sometimes things are not as I would assume, such as kalkwasser being more concentrated in cold water.

Anyway, removing CO2 is my goal. I am going to set up a wet/dry filter and pump outdoor air in through the bottom, letting it escape from a loosely fitting lid. I'm looking at a 12V blower and also want a speed controller for it. I'll check the pH of the effluent and run the blower no harder than is necessary.

It will be a while before I get this thing running but whether it's a total bust or works like a champ, I'll post the result. BTW, I don't have a skimmer and don't plan on getting one.

Thanks for kicking this around!
The tank may be cheap, but refilling it is not. I havent done it in a while since we have an oxygen concentrator at work, but it was $220 dollar to fill an H cylinder (6660L of oxygen), and probably $30ish or so for the small E-cylinders (660L) which is about the same size as Ive seen a lot of people use for their calcium reactors (CO2). Plus you wouldnt be using a bubble at a time. It'd be constant flow. And if it's like a airstone, looks about 2 to 4 liters per minute. On an e-cylinder 2L/min lasts about 5.5 hours.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a skimmer instead of something 10x more complicated? I don't understand your thinking.
Skimmers have multiple benefits. The only thing that polishes my water is my skimmer. It does a really good job too.
Mine is fed outside air and helps my pH and it aerates my tank. I could do all these things other ways but why?

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bust from the getgo-I can't bring that much frigid air in during winter.

I don't want a skimmer because my tank is teeming with bugs and such-I think it would get depleted.

I think I'll probably circle back to looking at installing an energy recovery ventilator (ERV). Panasonic makes a nice looking one...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not consider it a desirable thing to do, let me just comment on the physical science here.

Flushing the tank with pure O2 (or pure N2 or pure helium, or air without CO2 (can be purchased) etc.) would definitely raise the pH as it will serve to strip out CO2 as each batch of gas will absorb some CO2 into it.

To do so, however, would require a very substantial amount of O2 (costly), and would raise the O2 in the water to about 4-5x the normal level.

The only paper I saw on O2 toxicity was suggesting levels above 1 atmosphere were problematic. Not sure if 1 atmosphere (as needed here) is toxic.

Back