Can any one help!!

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help with eggs...
Ok i have had several hatches but this clutch was laid on a piece of tonga branch that i could remove from my DT. I removed the eggs and put them in the hatch tank last night. This morning only about a half dozen have hatched. So assuming the rest will hatch tonight im at a crossroads with what to do.
1) keep aeration around the eggs
2) keep lights out
3) introduce rots to the tank now or wait
4) tenting the water
I know the new fry should have a yolk sack to keep them going for 24 hours but worry if they dont. If i put rots in the tank now would they eat considering i have no light on and the water is not tented because i am worried the eggs will be infected. Just trying to figure out what to do at this point so i have the best outcome considering i have only done this in the past by scooping the fry out of the DT.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, i am no help to this, but just curious what type of eggs are they?

OP
OP
Tbabcock

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.. i am gonna be ticked if i messed this up. I just thought it would be sweet to not to have to scoop out fry for three nights. The last two hatches have been like this with some hear and some there then bam the rest pop out. My only concern is the air current by the eggs.. to much to little either way produces bad results.

Matthew Weems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this happens with my clown eggs I usually leave them in the hatching container with proper aeration. I do start feeding rotifers at the end of the first hatch day regardless of whether or not there are unhatched eggs left. The biggest issue with leaving them is bacterial infection from too little flow. You can carefully clean the eggs if they are hatching over many days to reduce infection chances. I also use a light diffuser over the tank the first 2 weeks. If there are unhatched eggs, I make the half of the diffuser with the eggs under it double thick. This reduces the light to eggs so light does not interfere with their hatch and to draw the already hatched fry away from the egg aeration. It is a lot easier once they have laid a few batches and you start to get the timing of the hatch down. If tank conditions are constant, they tend to hatch at similar times and after a similar number of days once the parent pair has laid a few batches.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back