Can anyone answer a complete newbie's questions about setting up a BioCube 32?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new BioCube 32, my first tank, and I'm excited to get it going! I do have a few questions though.
  • Are the stock pump and powerhead/wavemaker sufficient, or should I upgrade? If I should upgrade, to what? Is it better to have one strong powerhead or two weaker ones? And what's a good brand/model? (That's relatively affordable?)
  • What's the best test kit brand? I was leaning towards API Reef Master for affordability but I'm told that's not the best choice? Anyone have an opinion on this?
  • Third, are the InTank biocube refugium and InTank media basket worth it? What filtration media should I run?
  • Fourth, I'm moving in about 7 weeks. Would it be a smart idea to set up the aquarium and get it cycling, or should I just wait until I move to set it up? Either way, I wouldn't add any livestock until I'm firmly moved in.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

I upgraded my return to a mj1200 when I had a biocube.
I also had one mp10 in there, it wasn’t enough. I upgraded to a 90 gallon before I spent more money on small equipment. Two mp10’s would be perfect in a bc32 though. You want variable flow not constant flow, that rules out most of the very cheap wavemakers like hydor unless you get the controller.

Api is awful but it’s fine for cycling. The ammonia will always test over zero in my experience, so be ready for that. Once you have some nitrate and no nitrite, you are cycled. Get salifert test kits once you are done cycling.

Always use RODI water obviously

The InTank stuff is great, I used them and still have them in storage. Where are you located I’m trying to get rid of them actually lol.

With the moving situation I would just cycle your rocks in a brute trash can that all reefers own for making saltwater and water changes. Just throw in a heater set to 76-78, and a powerhead, some dr. Tim’s one and only or similar bacterial starter; that’s about it. :) Let them cook for 7 weeks and you will be way ahead of the game once you set the biocube up in your new residence.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
186E12EE-350F-4993-9CF0-923411CF4321.jpeg

I’ll tackle some of it, and let others chime in. The above is a biocube, stock pump, stock lighting. Doing fine.

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

I upgraded my return to a mj1200 when I had a biocube.
I also had one mp10 in there, it wasn’t enough. I upgraded to a 90 gallon before I spent more money on small equipment. Two mp10’s would be perfect in a bc32 though. You want variable flow not constant flow, that rules out most of the very cheap wavemakers like hydor unless you get the controller.

Api is awful but it’s fine for cycling. The ammonia will always test over zero in my experience, so be ready for that. Once you have some nitrate and no nitrite, you are cycled. Get salifert test kits once you are done cycling.

Always use RODI water obviously

The InTank stuff is great, I used them and still have them in storage. Where are you located I’m trying to get rid of them actually lol.

With the moving situation I would just cycle your rocks in a brute trash can that all reefers own for making saltwater and water changes. Just throw in a heater set to 76-78, and a powerhead, some dr. Tim’s one and only or similar bacterial starter; that’s about it. :) Let them cook for 7 weeks and you will be way ahead of the game once you set the biocube up in your new residence.

Thanks for the tips! For the mp10, do you know where I can find some relatively affordable ones? Unfortunately, money is not unlimited.

Regarding your InTank equipment, if you'd be willing to part with it, I'd happily compensate you and pay for shipping. I live near northern Colorado though, so it may be kinda far.

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
186E12EE-350F-4993-9CF0-923411CF4321.jpeg

I’ll tackle some of it, and let others chime in. The above is a biocube, stock pump, stock lighting. Doing fine.

Wow, that's a good looking tank! How old is it, if you don't mind me asking? And what all are you growing, coral wise? Unfortunately, still not very good at identifying coral.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! For the mp10, do you know where I can find some relatively affordable ones? Unfortunately, money is not unlimited.

Regarding your InTank equipment, if you'd be willing to part with it, I'd happily compensate you and pay for shipping. I live near northern Colorado though, so it may be kinda far.
The marketplace on here has some good deals. There’s other cheaper options as well, others will chime in.
Colorado wouldn’t be too bad to ship to, let me see if I can find a box sometime soon.

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marketplace on here has some good deals. There’s other cheaper options as well, others will chime in.
Colorado wouldn’t be too bad to ship to, let me see if I can find a box sometime soon.

That would be amazing!

Sbpe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my biocube pretty much stock and added as I increased fish and coral. First was the intank media rack to run floss, carbon and phosgard/gfo. Next was IM wavelink powerhead, relatively small and various flow patterns. If you plan on slowly adding bioload you don't need alot of upgrades to start. Good luck.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new BioCube 32, my first tank, and I'm excited to get it going! I do have a few questions though.
  • Are the stock pump and powerhead/wavemaker sufficient, or should I upgrade? If I should upgrade, to what? Is it better to have one strong powerhead or two weaker ones? And what's a good brand/model? (That's relatively affordable?)
  • What's the best test kit brand? I was leaning towards API Reef Master for affordability but I'm told that's not the best choice? Anyone have an opinion on this?
  • Third, are the InTank biocube refugium and InTank media basket worth it? What filtration media should I run?
  • Fourth, I'm moving in about 7 weeks. Would it be a smart idea to set up the aquarium and get it cycling, or should I just wait until I move to set it up? Either way, I wouldn't add any livestock until I'm firmly moved in.
You can upgrade the pump to a Hydor Seltz D 500 DC pump, more power and less heat. The Aqamai KPs wavemakers would be perfect as well, way smaller and cheaper than MP10's.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is upgradeable - you can spend untold sums on biocube upgrades. I suggest you hold off. 1) get some use out of the parts. 2) learn what's important to you and the livestock you eventually buy. 3) you might not even appreciate your upgrades if you've never driven the tank in its stock form (sorry -cars are upgradeable too). 4) get through the learning curve and decide how much you care to invest. 5) save some enjoyment for later. You're about to have a new tank. That should seem pretty cool for a while. Renew your interest down the road with an upgrade.

for the record - I am pro-upgrade. I can't not upgrade. You should look forward to your upgrades. I'm just saying get your feet wet first.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh - and API.
I have mostly API test kits, and have mostly used API test kits. I don't know why people bash them. I get good, repeatable, predictable results. They are extraordinarily simple. I agree that the phosphate kit doesn't have the precision needed at the low end. I've heard lots of ammonia test kit complaints - but I prefer the seachem badge for QT tanks or cycling anyway. I have no outliers with nitrate, calcium, or alkalinity. And my pH is showing a slow steady decline that precisely matches the increased population in my house.
I recently acquired a well-respected "pro" mag test - 2 consecutive readings were ~ 1000, I added about 1% of the calculated magnesium demand to get to 1350, and what do you know, the next 2 tests said 1320. I'm sure it was user error somehow with the new test, my point is that any test can give you a screwy reading now and then.
I suggest you get the test kit your lfs stocks and can get refills for.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new acquisition!. Lots of good advice here. I am anti API myself, Prefer Salifert and Red Sea and now Hanna.. but I too am pro upgrade. I have a 32 AOI from Fijicube and have been forced to upgrade it. So go with stock gear but be prepared. You might want to get some backup gear just in case. MJ 1200 is a good powerhead that makes for a great small tank return pump. Get a backup heater too.

As to powerheads.. The suggestions made are good ones.. No need to repeat or add at this point.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy any upgrades to start. The bio cubes don't seem to be "fancy" but they work for growing LPS and softies and keeping fish out of the box.

Once you've had the tank for awhile you'll be in a much better position to figure out what (if any) upgrades would actually be helpful for your situation and your tank goals.

If you do really want to play with gear from the very start, I would strongly suggest pricing out a simple glass tank and whatever lights/powerheads/filter you want to use. It might end up being the same price or cheaper than the biocube.

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sticking with the stock equipment in the beginning. There is no rush, and it will allow you to research and purchase equipment as your tank evolves.

My only immediate upgrade recommendation is to get rid of the stock filter cartridges. You can replace it with a filter bag filled with carbon from Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) along with filter floss from InTank. This setup will save you some cash and have the same, if not better, results.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Oh, I forgot to mention that those softies in post #3 are growing without a wavemaker-- just what comes out of the one lockline return in the Biocube 16 gallon; not that a small wavemaker would be out of the question.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back