Can anyone answer a complete newbie's questions about setting up a BioCube 32?

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marketplace on here has some good deals. There’s other cheaper options as well, others will chime in.
Colorado wouldn’t be too bad to ship to, let me see if I can find a box sometime soon.

Hi! I was wondering if you had had any luck finding a box?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that needs upgrading is the lighting. I ran this biocube for years using only stock filtration, for the last two years (after I pulled my stony corals) it's basically been running filterless along with no water changes or testing..

3507EE6F-2BF9-4154-B997-5EAAC1474841.png

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new BioCube 32, my first tank, and I'm excited to get it going! I do have a few questions though.
  • Are the stock pump and powerhead/wavemaker sufficient, or should I upgrade? If I should upgrade, to what? Is it better to have one strong powerhead or two weaker ones? And what's a good brand/model? (That's relatively affordable?)
  • What's the best test kit brand? I was leaning towards API Reef Master for affordability but I'm told that's not the best choice? Anyone have an opinion on this?
  • Third, are the InTank biocube refugium and InTank media basket worth it? What filtration media should I run?
  • Fourth, I'm moving in about 7 weeks. Would it be a smart idea to set up the aquarium and get it cycling, or should I just wait until I move to set it up? Either way, I wouldn't add any livestock until I'm firmly moved in.
My stock power head, if you do wanna upgrade I would suggest the slw-10, I tried it out, worked great, but I like slower flow due to my corals being fragile. I would 100% go with Red Sea or hanna. API is junk and I will never buy it again, but it’s affordable to new reef keepers. I run stock filtration, I would invest in the media basket and refugium. I would put the live rock In a bucket of trash can and put a heater in it and a wave maker and let the suckers vibe for 7 weeks until your moved in!

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sticking with the stock equipment in the beginning. There is no rush, and it will allow you to research and purchase equipment as your tank evolves.

My only immediate upgrade recommendation is to get rid of the stock filter cartridges. You can replace it with a filter bag filled with carbon from Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) along with filter floss from InTank. This setup will save you some cash and have the same, if not better, results.
I like the carbon filter bag from chemi blue

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new BioCube 32, my first tank, and I'm excited to get it going! I do have a few questions though.
  • Are the stock pump and powerhead/wavemaker sufficient, or should I upgrade? If I should upgrade, to what? Is it better to have one strong powerhead or two weaker ones? And what's a good brand/model? (That's relatively affordable?)
  • What's the best test kit brand? I was leaning towards API Reef Master for affordability but I'm told that's not the best choice? Anyone have an opinion on this?
  • Third, are the InTank biocube refugium and InTank media basket worth it? What filtration media should I run?
  • Fourth, I'm moving in about 7 weeks. Would it be a smart idea to set up the aquarium and get it cycling, or should I just wait until I move to set it up? Either way, I wouldn't add any livestock until I'm firmly moved in.
Welcome to Reef2Reef! This is a great but expensive and precise hobby lol! It’s a lot of fun though when things start to take shape and work out!

I’d recommend upgrading stock pump to sicce silent 1 and add 2 hydor koralias 425 gph power heads. They’re highly rated and very affordable. I’ve got that pump and power heads in my biocube 32 as well.

i use the API saltwater master test kit and I’ve had no problems with it, all test kits aren’t always the most accurate in every way. But this test kit will give you a good idea where your water conditions are at and I recommend it.

the intank media basket and refugium are AMAZING and 110% worth it! I have both and have filter floss, chemipure elite, and seachem purigen in my media basket with a tennis size ball of chaeto in my refugium beside it.

I’d wait the 7 weeks to set up your tank. Setting it up now and taking it down to move is a hassle and it would put a stop to your cycling. Best of luck and happy reefing :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back