Can anyone help identify this mushroom?

BRS

Biggest Little Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I purchased this mushroom from Aqua SD back in November 2020. It was really unique; nothing I had ever seen from ASD before and it was reasonable priced. It was named "Lava Bounce Mushroom." Obviously, it's not a true bounce mushroom, but it does have several round, green "bubbles." I have plenty of Ricordea Floridas and a few Rhodactis in my tank. I feel I'm pretty good at identifying different species of mushrooms, but I can't figure this one out.

IMG_1307.PNG

IMG_2321.JPEG

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
B

Biggest Little Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Some call these lava lamp shrooms.

Has the same bubble pattern that mine do but I could be wrong....sorry mine was just fed lol
20210313_155534.jpg
Yep looks just like it! I Googled it and it appears to be a discosoma. How's the color on yours? I was hoping for more some fluorescence, especially on the green bubbles, but mine is pretty...blah. It almost blends in with the rocks and sometimes I forget it's there.

Zoanthids

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Yep looks just like it! I Googled it and it appears to be a discosoma. How's the color on yours? I was hoping for more some fluorescence, especially on the green bubbles, but mine is pretty...blah. It almost blends in with the rocks and sometimes I forget it's there.
When I first got it, it had some of the brighter green and under really low
par but I put it up on a high rock and it pretty much stays this dull green and purple :(

Last edited:
OP
B

Biggest Little Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine too! Here’s what it looked like when I first got it. It actually had decent yellow / green bubbles and some purple / pink near the edges. Shortly after it released itself from the plug so I wedged it into a low flow area in my rocks. I actually forgot about it for a while. Now it’s attached and nearly doubled in size, but lost most all of its color.
598AD3FE-ECDB-4FF5-9984-8D78A527C7F6.jpeg

BRS

Have you ever had aquarium equipment damaged by livestock?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • NO

Votes: 180 76.6%
  • Maybe now that you mention it

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.3%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM