Can anyone recommend a good HOB filter to add to my sump?

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah yeah, I know I'm kind of defeating myself here but I want to have a way to run different media whenever I need to. When I built my sump I never really planned on putting media in, but now that I'm a bit more savy I'm seeing that carbon can be great and would like to have some purigen as well. I don't need anything major, just something simple to push water directly through the media. Unless there's an easy way to do this in a regular 3 section diy sump. Currently I have a bag of carbon in a baffle but I think the water is mostly going around it, not through it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to imagine a HOB filter working out without excessive noise and salt spray.

First, the bag is fine.....just don't overload it. Use the recommended dose and change it frequently. A lot of times that's about 1/4 cup per 100 gallons and changing it weekly.

If you really can't make that work or just need something more or different, then a reactor would be my next choice.

There are a ton of options, but for $75 I like Tunze's Comline® Filter 3162.
csm_3162.000_15082baae4.jpg

csm_-info96.1_09a85dcdd6.jpg

csm_-info53.1_02c53191b7.jpg

You can mount up to a 75-watt heater AND your ato sensor inside the housing for a neat look. A powered heater doesn't have to be nearly as large as the general heating recommendation, BTW, so 75-watts will service a much larger than normal tank....up to 100 gallons, depending on your circumstances.

They have a bigger model ($143) and a nano model ($50).

They also have the Comline® Streamfilter 3163 ($88) based on a nanostream powerhead:
csm_3163.000_3a99e855f3.jpg

OP
OP
J

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just run reactors?
Hadn't honestly thought about them as Ive never used them. Is that what they do basically? I'll look into that and the tunze a little more. The tunze @mcarroll mentioned sounds intriguing especially since I use a tunze ATO. thanks a lot!

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Little Fishies reactors work great and a lot quieter than a HOB would be. Plus if you run them off a manifold you can you all your existing return pump. Also certain medias have different requirements for tumble which you can achieve with reactors.

What kind of media do you want to run?

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think a reactor is exactly what your looking for. Bulkreefsupply has a in depth video of what media types and reactors exist and the pros and cons of each.

OP
OP
J

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it definitely is. Seems like a simple enough concept... I may just try to make one if I can find some time. Thanks for the help everyone, pointed me in a direction I didn't even know existed. (There's still lots to learn I suppose!)

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use a canister filter. I am an Eheim fan for my FW aquariums.

Bruce

OP
OP
J

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydor but it's going to need a little rigging because I used it for spare parts in a fit of mania lol. Thanks for the idea, forgot I even had it!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back