Can anyone tell me what these are...and if unwanted what kind of fire I should use to remove them?

Loring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed these 4 little polyps on the back of one of my live rocks this evening. My tank is relatively new and I'm guessing I don't want them multiplying but anyone have an idea of what they might be and if there is a good way to be rid of them if I indeed want them out? Thank you in advance.

Screenshot_20220315-204838_Gallery.jpg

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are palythoas, or protopalythoas. Either way, if you don't want them you have a couple options.

If you can pull the rock out, towel dry it then cover them with a small pile of your reef salt. After 10 minutes, rinse it with top off water and you can put it back in.

If you can't remove the rock, disturb them so they shrink down and then cover the entire things with super glue gel.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as the other person above me mentioned those are most likely Palys.
if you wanna remove them just be extra extra careful.
Run carbon if you decide to remove them (with whatever method you chose just in case)

OP
OP
L

Loring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are palythoas, or protopalythoas. Either way, if you don't want them you have a couple options.

If you can pull the rock out, towel dry it then cover them with a small pile of your reef salt. After 10 minutes, rinse it with top off water and you can put it back in.

If you can't remove the rock, disturb them so they shrink down and then cover the entire things with super glue gel.
So I don't have any super glue on hand but I have some of that putty you use to bond live rock together, I assume that would work to shrink them down and just pack putty into that spot?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back