Can anyone Wrasse ID please

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, a few hours ago I was watching a video by Reef Dork on youtube and I saw what I believe to be a wrasse in his tank but for the life of me I cannot figure out which one it is. It has a yellow stripe lengthwise and rounded dark dorsal and pectoral fins. It is absolutely gorgeous IMO so I’d definitely consider adding it to my stock wish list lol! here is the link to the video, it is best seen around minute mark 8:50 I’ve also attached a picture of it

Thank you in advance for y’all help :)

IMG_0375.png

OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse? They have that yellow stripe down the middle, but it’s hard to tell from the picture.
Seems similar, but after seeing a ton of pics online I’m not sure that it is. Like the fins are way more rounded and the color above and bellow seem to be a dark blue/greenish instead of red…. Then again maybe his lights are causing the red to appear differently? Thank you for the input regardless because wow the Naoko’s fairy wrasses are gorgeous and definitely something I’m probably gonna end up getting lol!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks more like a pseudochromis or hogfish but fish is very distant in the image but basslet sticks out at me

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, a few hours ago I was watching a video by Reef Dork on youtube and I saw what I believe to be a wrasse in his tank but for the life of me I cannot figure out which one it is. It has a yellow stripe lengthwise and rounded dark dorsal and pectoral fins. It is absolutely gorgeous IMO so I’d definitely consider adding it to my stock wish list lol! here is the link to the video, it is best seen around minute mark 8:50 I’ve also attached a picture of it

Thank you in advance for y’all help :)

IMG_0375.png

Cirrhilabrus Naokoae. If it’s the fish that swims in circles and dive bombs. It’s his most asked about fish though I think he lost it a while back. Here’s my old one.
IMG_1928.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus Naokoae. If it’s the fish that swims in circles and dive bombs. It’s his most asked about fish though I think he lost it a while back. Here’s my old one.
IMG_1928.jpeg
Thank you so much for confirming it was a Naoko’s. Golly it truly is a gorgeous wrasse, it’s going into my stock wishlist lol! Do you have any advice on successfully keeping one?
I’m working on “my build thread” but it’ll be a 84”x24”x30” SPS dominant reef aquarium. Other tank mates I’m thinking of are tangs, anthias and other wrasses. Maaaybeeee a juvenile Koran angel down the line (I know they may nip at corals and whatnot but I’m a sucker for their gorgeous colors) .

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for confirming it was a Naoko’s. Golly it truly is a gorgeous wrasse, it’s going into my stock wishlist lol! Do you have any advice on successfully keeping one?
I’m working on “my build thread” but it’ll be a 84”x24”x30” SPS dominant reef aquarium. Other tank mates I’m thinking of are tangs, anthias and other wrasses. Maaaybeeee a juvenile Koran angel down the line (I know they may nip at corals and whatnot but I’m a sucker for their gorgeous colors) .
The biggest thing with a Naoko is to have a lid (big jumpers) and feed pretty regularly (which you probably already planned on with the anthias). They're fairly easy to keep once acclimated, but they're slightly more challenging to keep than some other fairy wrasse. Also they can be a little shy, so I'd add them before the anthias and tangs. Especially the anthias as theyre both plantivores. I had a lyretail chase my blue line so fast it jumped over an 18 inch clearance lip through a small gap to its death. Just be careful with jumping

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re only real issue that there is a rare condition nicknamed UNWD. Other than that they are a great fish with a lot of personality. I’ve had two and one of their closest relatives Cirrhilabrus rubeus:
IMG_0420.jpeg

To get the most out of fairy wrasse I would suggest getting a variety of species as that will get them to display. The wrasse guy has a great chart for how to mix them.

If you need any more wrasse advice (there are a ton of options when it comes to wrasse) ask @i cant think or me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing with a Naoko is to have a lid (big jumpers) and feed pretty regularly (which you probably already planned on with the anthias). They're fairly easy to keep once acclimated, but they're slightly more challenging to keep than some other fairy wrasse. Also they can be a little shy, so I'd add them before the anthias and tangs. Especially the anthias as theyre both plantivores. I had a lyretail chase my blue line so fast it jumped over an 18 inch clearance lip through a small gap to its death. Just be careful with jumping
Yikes! ok so tight lid first and foremost. Thank you for the advice! one more question, do you think a Naoko’s would get along just fine with a bird wrasse? I’ve read they can be a bit… disagreeable.

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! ok so tight lid first and foremost. Thank you for the advice! one more question, do you think a Naoko’s would get along just fine with a bird wrasse? I’ve read they can be a bit… disagreeable.
Bird wrasse are very mean fish especially with other wrasse and I'd guess the answer is no. They're also not really invert or coral safe or even small fish safe as full adults from my understanding

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bird wrasse is a reef wrasse and they are generally a lot more aggressive then their rubble field wrasse counterparts. I can make you a more aggressive wrasse stocking list if you want. But I would suggest going with more peaceful wrasse.

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another sad thing about fairy wrasse is even when well cared for if you're buying terminal males they rarely live longer than 3-4 years. Just be prepared for that emotionally. I've lost 3 fairy and flasher wrasse to old age over the years and it's always hard watching them at the end.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re only real issue that there is a rare condition nicknamed UNWD. Other than that they are a great fish with a lot of personality. I’ve had two and one of their closest relatives Cirrhilabrus rubeus:
IMG_0420.jpeg

To get the most out of fairy wrasse I would suggest getting a variety of species as that will get them to display. The wrasse guy has a great chart for how to mix them.

If you need any more wrasse advice (there are a ton of options when it comes to wrasse) ask @i cant think or me.
my tank is about to change into a flasher wrasse domain if y’all keep posting such gorgeous pictures lol!

I just did a quick google search for UNWD and read Jay Hemdal’s post, it seems nothing can be done to prevent or cure it, right?

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is about to change into a flasher wrasse domain if y’all keep posting such gorgeous pictures lol!

I just did a quick google search for UNWD and read Jay Hemdal’s post, it seems nothing can be done to prevent or cure it, right?
Yeah it's a neurological disease of nebulous origin with no known cause that's functionally 100% fatal. I'd say maybe 1 in 5 or 6 wrasse that are susceptible show symptoms either in fish store holding tanks or home aquaria (made up number but just to give a ballpark from what I've seen). Yes no known cure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another sad thing about fairy wrasse is even when well cared for if you're buying terminal males they rarely live longer than 3-4 years. Just be prepared for that emotionally. I've lost 3 fairy and flasher wrasse to old age over the years and it's always hard watching them at the end.
I have a Great Dane, and as you know they do not live long lives so from the get go I always told myself I would enjoy my time with her to the fullest. She’s 5 years old now and even though I dread when the day comes for her to cross the rainbow bridge, I know I will be “ready”.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolali18

coolali18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bird wrasse is a reef wrasse and they are generally a lot more aggressive then their rubble field wrasse counterparts. I can make you a more aggressive wrasse stocking list if you want. But I would suggest going with more peaceful wrasse.
The bird wrasse was on the unlikely stocking list so no big deal to not get one lol! I think they’re cool and all but as I mentioned previously I had read they can be aggressive as you state and honestly I don’t need that kind of drama in my tank

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically we’ve only been talking about fairy wrasse. Flashers are their closest relatives. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

And if you think fairies are pretty wait for flashers…

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bird wrasse was on the unlikely stocking list so no big deal to not get one lol! I think they’re cool and all but as I mentioned previously I had read they can be aggressive as you state and honestly I don’t need that kind of drama in my tank
Yeah. They are cool.

I have two tanks. One with peaceful wrasse and one with monster wrasse. They both work but best to keep similar temperaments together.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back