Can anything other than co2 cause low ph

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have several big fish. I have certainly seen plenty of tanks with more though. I don’t feed super heavy. I use hpd and mastic, so not much wast. I feed my corals often, but I would not say a crazy amount.
Whats your ORP hang at usually? biggest thing that surprises me is that 11 liters of kalk is a lot for your size of system so its suprising you are having issues with pH

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your ORP hang at usually? biggest thing that surprises me is that 11 liters of kalk is a lot for your size of system so its suprising you are having issues with pH
I don’t have an orp probe.
I agree, seems like ph should for sure be good.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Low or no boron could cause this problem. However, i would aerate the same water outside and test the ph first. Your co2 meter could be really off, or accurate.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you dosing kalkwasser? because you should obviously try to dose the majority of it outside of the photoperiod, If using a controller like apex,, making a reverse photoperiod dosing schedule to keep pH elevated however throttled back enough not to cause alk swings
How are you adding kalkwasser? because if its just an unsealed container a ato or doser is pulling out of it can lose potency by reacting with atmospheric CO2, a sealed Nielsen reactor is a different story where water is pushed through via ato or doser / not exposed to ambiet CO2 and can be more potent as far as pH benefit is concerned.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you dosing kalkwasser? because you should obviously try to dose the majority of it outside of the photoperiod, If using a controller like apex,, making a reverse photoperiod dosing schedule to keep pH elevated however throttled back enough not to cause alk swings
How are you adding kalkwasser? because if its just an unsealed container a ato or doser is pulling out of it can lose potency by reacting with atmospheric CO2, a sealed Nielsen reactor is a different story where water is pushed through via ato or doser / not exposed to ambiet CO2 and can be more potent as far as pH benefit is concerned.
I do dose it 24 hours at a constant rate through an avast marine kalk reactor using a versa pump. I may try increasing the dose at night compared to the day, but I’m not sure how much I can change it without causing dkh fluctuations

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back