Can chaeto get too much light?

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a 2.1 gallon refugium that sits out side of my sump on my red sea 250. I was wondering If I were to place my CF grow light directly sitting on the top of the tank, would it be to much light or be fine?

image.jpg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to give chaeto too much light, but what you have in the photo could be fine. Do you know the actual wattage draw for that light? (Not the advertised equivalent wattage that is usually grossly overestimated).

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to give chaeto too much light, but what you have in the photo could be fine. Do you know the actual wattage draw for that light? (Not the advertised equivalent wattage that is usually grossly overestimated).
Its the 100w cf grow light

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto has an exceptionally low compensation point, judging from its morphology (see here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/2434129?seq=1. I've never seen any bleaching even when it is exposed to medium light intensity. So, the short answer, the exposed portion might lose some photosynthetic capability but the self-shaded interior should be OK.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the 100w cf grow light
Is that actually 100W draw, read the fine print carefully. The kessil H380 draws about 90W, and if you’re going to have that over a 2 gallon fuge, obviously that’s kinda crazy. I’m skeptical it’s 100W. If it really is, that’s too much light.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on Amazon for flood bulbs that are pink vegetation grow lights. When i use to grow chaeto, using a pink vegetation grow light made a HUGE difference

BRStv investigates did a large experiment and the pink grow lights WON hands down in every category

Google research what I said

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on Amazon for flood bulbs that are pink vegetation grow lights. When i use to grow chaeto, using a pink vegetation grow light made a HUGE difference

BRStv investigates did a large experiment and the pink grow lights WON hands down in every category

Google research what I said
Well, I think that is what my light is...

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto has an exceptionally low compensation point, judging from its morphology (see here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/2434129?seq=1. I've never seen any bleaching even when it is exposed to medium light intensity. So, the short answer, the exposed portion might lose some photosynthetic capability but the self-shaded interior should be OK.
So it would be ok?

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my plan with making a refugium out of a separate 2 gallon tank, failed. It started to leak out of the bulk heads, and when I tested to see what would happen if I mimicked a power outage, it overflowed water all over the floor. Ended up taking it out and not using it. I didnt want to make a new forum, so Ill just put my question on here. What light do you think would grow chaeto better? I have a phlizon black box light that I dont use anymore, or my smaller CF grow light which is bright pink to the eye. Like I said, which one would you choose to grow chaeto?

image.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bright pink is the horticulture light to grow chaeto.
Very hard to over light

Back