Can Coral take up CACO3 directly

steven4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all, but here is my question in more detail as well as my own grasp of the concept. I understand that coral take up carbonate or bicarbonate along with calcium (CA++ in seawater), if they take up bicarbonate, they convert it into carbonate along with calcium to create a calcium carbonate skeleton. I also understand that the PH determines what form carbonate or bicarbonate will take along with its effect on the solubility of calcium carbonate in the water. So, my question is this. Can coral take calcium carbonate directly from the water column and incorporate it into their skeleton? If so, does calcium carbonate undergo any changes in this process or is it directly assimilated into the skeleton? Please do not be shy with complex answers here. A detailed explanation would be appreciated. I don't hold any formal degrees in Biology or Chemistry so please keep that in mind, but I love this aspect of the hobby! I would appreciate a detailed answer or any input if my understanding is incorrect from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert either on this, but from my understanding calcium carbonate is relatively insoluble in water. So, even if the could potentially, it would be difficult.

Are you asking it they can eat it and incorporate it that way?

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they can't.
Their skeleton building process consists of combining Calcium ions (Ca2) with Carbonate ions(Co3), to form CaCo3. Providing CaCo3 directly won't make into any part of the biological process responsible for building skeleton.

A simple way to think about it, is that if they could, they would be able to incorporate their own skeleton, in an infinite loop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article of mine is getting old now, but I think it is still essentially correct in its summary of calcification mechanisms by corals:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are they saying here? Something about 400nm particles of calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
S

steven4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article of mine is getting old now, but I think it is still essentially correct in its summary of calcification mechanisms by corals:

Thank you I will be sure to give it a read. I have read most of your articles they are the primary reason I know as much as I do. Thanks for taking the time to write them! Do you know of any good articles that explain PH in depth. I feel that I have a good understanding of it and how it effects solubility and ions in general, but I would like to know more.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are they saying here? Something about 400nm particles of calcium carbonate.

the article is talking about a detail in the mechanism of skeleton formation within the coral, not how the coral gets the calcium and carbonate to begin with.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will be sure to give it a read. I have read most of your articles they are the primary reason I know as much as I do. Thanks for taking the time to write them! Do you know of any good articles that explain PH in depth. I feel that I have a good understanding of it and how it effects solubility and ions in general, but I would like to know more.

Sure: http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back