Can corals release airborn toxins?

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been a bit paranoid lately reading stories of toxic corals. In my nano tank I have lots of soft corals eleganc corals, hammers etc and a small zoa with 8 heads. I’ve never experienced any noticeable ill effects but it got me thinking if I’m doing myself harm when my arms go in the tank for a water change or if the corals are somehow releasing toxins in my bedroom air while I sleep.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a coral releases a toxin it is in the water. I dont know of any coral that shoots them in the air. If you touch a coral you could get a dose of what ever it has as a defense.
If you remove the coral from the water you can have airborne issues.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been a bit paranoid lately reading stories of toxic corals. In my nano tank I have lots of soft corals eleganc corals, hammers etc and a small zoa with 8 heads. I’ve never experienced any noticeable ill effects but it got me thinking if I’m doing myself harm when my arms go in the tank for a water change or if the corals are somehow releasing toxins in my bedroom air while I sleep.
Palytoxins is probably what you’re referring to. Yes some palys have toxins that can be serious but issues occur when they are disrupted and when there is a large amount of them- with that said, it’s a subset of palys (not all) and usually not the ones that people have in their tanks- tons of info on r2r on palytoxins. You don’t need to worry too much- just be mindful.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t boil any rocks or coral, don’t smoke any reef coral, wear ppe when fragging corals (personal protection equipment) and you should be fine.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy any fartopora corals....

A big bubble surfaces ever so often and ppl have been know to run out the front door due to the toxic fowl odor.

Yeah, fartoporas are pretty bad

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems super rare, but maybe best to not wash buckets/tools in steaming hot water when cleaning up. It can cause additional arenization of the poison's. Assuming they exist.

I saw a speaker talking about it when the whole Paly toxin discussion was going around earlier this year. I don't remember what the gentlemans name was, but I think he was talking at one of the Macnas?

I heard that Nems, Dinos, and other things can in theory also release similar compounds. One source I just found in a quick google- https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/palytoxin

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back