Can emerald crabs see in the dark?

djs4him

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all .. a simple question I've not found an answer online for ..

People say they have nocturnal tendencies, but if my lights go out at night and the tank is in complete darkness, can they still find food?

I've left a small piece of nori for my new crabs and am curious if they are able to find it in the black of night.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all .. a simple question I've not found an answer online for ..

People say they have nocturnal tendencies, but if my lights go out at night and the tank is in complete darkness, can they still find food?

I've left a small piece of nori for my new crabs and am curious if they are able to find it in the black of night.
I only had limited experience with an emerald crab (Mithraculus sculptus) as a hitchhiker in a temperate tank and I did not take much time to observe it. What I can say is that my skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis), a crustacean which is known for having terrible eyesight, responds almost immediately when I drop food into my tank at any time of day. My guess is that it has a very keen sense of smell. The same goes for some of my other blind/nearly blind livestock, like brittle/serpent stars, Nassarius snails, and bristleworms.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back