can frefish live with mandarin gobies

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13g nano and I plan to get rid of one damsel for one classic red and white fire fish. Are mandarins compatible with fire fish? I know the eat the same thing as my mandarin seems to enjoy coral pellets

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish won’t compete with the mandarin dragonet for food if that’s what you’re asking. My firefish eats brine and mysis from the water column and won’t eat anything that is on the rocks or sand.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I'd suggest a larger tank for the mandarin or you'll be spending hundreds on pod supplements over time :) firefish are an absolute delight if you've got a secure lid!

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I'd suggest a larger tank for the mandarin or you'll be spending hundreds on pod supplements over time :) firefish are an absolute delight if you've got a secure lid!
Don't worry. I have a refugium with pods and a mandarin that eats pellets, coral food, sps food, zooplankton powder, tigger feast, and anything else. I just don't want the firefish to pick at the little guy.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry. I have a refugium with pods and a mandarin that eats pellets, coral food, sps food, zooplankton powder, tigger feast, and anything else. I just don't want the firefish to pick at the little guy.
That's lucky! Captive bred? Typically, firefish only pick at other members of their species. Send pictures of your little guy, they're gorgeous :3

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two blue firefish fonts currently. They have to be very, very hungry to rush in and feed. They generally lay back, hide in the tunnels and grab whatever comes flying bye. Now the two mocha storm clowns, they’re popping up out of the water by the time I’m bringing the baster over. I need the hard lids and for the clown fish, not the fire fish

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two blue firefish fonts currently. They have to be very, very hungry to rush in and feed. They generally lay back, hide in the tunnels and grab whatever comes flying bye. Now the two mocha storm clowns, they’re popping up out of the water by the time I’m bringing the baster over. I need the hard lids and for the clown fish, not the fire fish
I've spooked mine by walking by the tank before. Popped right out of the water like it was fired from a gun (little guy is still munching like mad two months later, so I think he'll be okay!)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks will kill firefish. If you have one already, and may see the mandarin as competition for food source. Difficult to say if they will get along or not.
My mandarin has shared the Evo with two captive-bred orchid dottybacks for four months, and everyone's fine. No, they do not compete for food (except for 'pods), as the dottybacks pick food directly from the water column, and the mandarin gets the leftovers on the substrate. If anything, the sexy shrimp and bristleworms are much bigger competitors for the mandarin.

The dottybacks shared the tank with a firefish before the mandarin arrived. I lost the firefish (and quite a few inverts) to an unfortunate bleaching accident, but the dottybacks survived. The firefish used to boss around the dottybacks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back