OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GE silicone posted above bonds to glass and acrylic... I've done quite a few sumps with it and have yet to have a baffle leak, let alone fail. You do need to leave room for the acrylic to expand so it does not crack the glass though.
Thank You for the important point

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200304120034HCDXA96Y5YW8F_700.jpg

Is it this?

iman7045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeder convert into sump using a Fiji sump kit and Ge number 1 silicon. Gotta get 100 coverage with the seams and like a pervious reply stated let dry for 4 days or more. Mine waited a couple weeks while i drilled my 110 gallon and got my stand done. The sump buffles felt pretty solid and has been up and running for a couple of months now with no issues.
I second this as im in the same boat with doing the same exact thing, no issues so far.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've installed acrylic/plexiglass baffles into many glass aquariums.

I always use ASI aquarium sealant. It's 100% silicone with no additives. $11 for a 10oz tube. Amazon.

I always use minimum 3/16" acrylic and prefer 1/4" thickness.

I'm pretty particular about how I assemble things. My method has always been to cut the baffles 1/8" narrow (1/16" each side) , to allow for expansion and to allow for silicone to fit between the baffles and the glass. I notch the bottom corners at an angle to allow the baffles to clear the existing silicone in the tank. Then mask off the 3 sides that will have silicone attached, leaving 1/2" where the silicone will be applied. Grab a dremel/rotary tool and a 1/2" sanding drum. Run the dremel on LOW speed and scuff all 3 edges (both sides... front and back) where the silicone will touch the baffle. This gives the silicone some ridges and roughness to grab onto and adhere too. Remove masking tape.

Clean with soap and water to remove sanding dust AND any residual oil or film from the manufacturing process. Dry thoroughly with paper towels, then use a hair dryer to be sure it's completely dry. I blast it with the hairdryer until its warm all around the edges where the silicone will be applied. It's dry now. Let it cool to room temperature.

I caulk both sides of each panel. Use your favorite tool or finger to squish the silicone in tightly and form a radius. I prefer a cheap plastic spoon.

Clean up with isopropyl alcohol (91%) and paper towels. Let it cure for at least 2 or 3 days.

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've installed acrylic/plexiglass baffles into many glass aquariums.

I always use ASI aquarium sealant. It's 100% silicone with no additives. $11 for a 10oz tube. Amazon.

I always use minimum 3/16" acrylic and prefer 1/4" thickness.

I'm pretty particular about how I assemble things. My method has always been to cut the baffles 1/8" narrow (1/16" each side) , to allow for expansion and to allow for silicone to fit between the baffles and the glass. I notch the bottom corners at an angle to allow the baffles to clear the existing silicone in the tank. Then mask off the 3 sides that will have silicone attached, leaving 1/2" where the silicone will be applied. Grab a dremel/rotary tool and a 1/2" sanding drum. Run the dremel on LOW speed and scuff all 3 edges (both sides... front and back) where the silicone will touch the baffle. This gives the silicone some ridges and roughness to grab onto and adhere too. Remove masking tape.

Clean with soap and water to remove sanding dust AND any residual oil or film from the manufacturing process. Dry thoroughly with paper towels, then use a hair dryer to be sure it's completely dry. I blast it with the hairdryer until its warm all around the edges where the silicone will be applied. It's dry now. Let it cool to room temperature.

I caulk both sides of each panel. Use your favorite tool or finger to squish the silicone in tightly and form a radius. I prefer a cheap plastic spoon.

Clean up with isopropyl alcohol (91%) and paper towels. Let it cure for at least 2 or 3 days.
Thank You for sharing

T828k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GE silicone posted above bonds to glass and acrylic... I've done quite a few sumps with it and have yet to have a baffle leak, let alone fail. You do need to leave room for the acrylic to expand so it does not crack the glass though.
How much room between the baffle and glass would you recommend

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How much room between the baffle and glass would you recommend
I believe I did mine with a "heavy" 16th of an inch on each side. The total was a "heavy" 8th of an inch. So just a little bit more :) Best of luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back