Can grow any coral, except for Millepora?

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a 1 year old system.
150 gallon total system volume.
The lights were all measured out with an Apoge PAR meter.
Nutrients are all in check and all of my SPS, LPS, and Softies are growing like crazy.
To clarify I've several acorporas, a pocilapora, and a stylophora that are all doing very well.
With the exception of one.
Ive tried adding 3 different Milleporas, all at different times.
They all end up dying within 2 weeks, which is ashame because I really like them.
I usually do a Coral RX dip, drip acclimate for 1 hour, light acclimate for 1 week, and then move it to it's final place. Milis just slowly die.
Any tips would be appreciated, I really just want to be able to bring a Millepora with some level of confidence.
MVIMG_20181124_134452.jpg

MVIMG_20181124_134421.jpg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a 1 year old system.
150 gallon total system volume.
The lights were all measured out with an Apoge PAR meter.
Nutrients are all in check and all of my SPS, LPS, and Softies are growing like crazy.
To clarify I've several acorporas, a pocilapora, and a stylophora that are all doing very well.
With the exception of one.
Ive tried adding 3 different Milleporas, all at different times.
They all end up dying within 2 weeks, which is ashame because I really like them.
I usually do a Coral RX dip, drip acclimate for 1 hour, light acclimate for 1 week, and then move it to it's final place. Milis just slowly die.
Any tips would be appreciated, I really just want to be able to bring a Millepora with some level of confidence.
MVIMG_20181124_134452.jpg

MVIMG_20181124_134421.jpg
Are you getting then from the same vendor? I've had a couple sps frags from the same local guy that didnt do well at all.

From other vendors, nothing but success.

If you want to try your hand at a few bullet proof millis, try a battlebox from battlecorals and tell him what type and colors your after.

I've always had amazing success with his frags.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting then from the same vendor? I've had a couple sps frags from the same local guy that didnt do well at all.

From other vendors, nothing but success.

If you want to try your hand at a few bullet proof millis, try a battlebox from battlecorals and tell him what type and colors your after.

I've always had amazing success with his frags.

Ive grabbed 3 from my local LFS (I had mostly good experiences there) and one from ASD aquatics.
I'll make note of that battle box.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other types of acros do you have?

ASD Birthday Cake, ASD Dark Lord, TRR Blue Goo, ASD Crystal Dragon.

Not sure if the names the retailer provide actually help at all. I've probably got 2 or 3 small colonies and 10-15 other frags that are starting to encrust over the frag plug.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASD Birthday Cake, ASD Dark Lord, TRR Blue Goo, ASD Crystal Dragon.

Not sure if the names the retailer provide actually help at all. I've probably got 2 or 3 small colonies and 10-15 other frags that are starting to encrust over the frag plug.
That's odd. The acro you posted looked to be doing really well.

What PAR are you running at?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any nibblers? Millipora does very well in my frag tank, but much less well in the display. Those long, wispy polyps are irresistable to my fish apparently.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting one from a hobbiests colony. Asd and your local shop we're probably giving you mille that were Mari or wild and already stressed to the point where death was going to happen. Even if they looked fine.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any nibblers? Millipora does very well in my frag tank, but much less well in the display. Those long, wispy polyps are irresistable to my fish apparently.

Not that I've seen.
I've got 2 clowns, 2 tangs, and a Niger trigger.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd. The acro you posted looked to be doing really well.

What PAR are you running at?

350-370 towards the top, it's about 300 before it hits the rockwork and drops to around 180-200 around the sandbed.

It's a 26" tall display tank.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting one from a hobbiests colony. Asd and your local shop we're probably giving you mille that were Mari or wild and already stressed to the point where death was going to happen. Even if they looked fine.

I've considered trying that, all the corals I've received that have at least partially encrusted over the plug all seem to do really well.
I'm just guessing here but I'm betting that some of these stores are just sending them out the door before they've even acclimated.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I've seen.
I've got 2 clowns, 2 tangs, and a Niger trigger.

Ok, that’s probably not it. One thing you could try is mounting the Mille to those frag-mag thingees. You can affix them to the back panel and then move them around to get ideal light and flow.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that’s probably not it. One thing you could try is mounting the Mille to those frag-mag thingees. You can affix them to the back panel and then move them around to get ideal light and flow.

That's actually what I've been doing.
During the 1 week light acclimation they sit on a frag rack on the back of tank which is close to the 300ish par range and I have 1 power head on each side (about 2 feet away on either side) so they really should be fine.
Shoot, almost any other coral that goes through the acclimation almost gets to the point where it's growing over the rack itself.

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any marinepure in your system? I remember reading that milles seem to be effected by aluminum more than other acros and marinepure can leech aluminum. I have no experience with marinepure, nor do I know for sure if aluminum effects milles, but it might be something worth checking.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any marinepure in your system? I remember reading that milles seem to be effected by aluminum more than other acros and marinepure can leech aluminum. I have no experience with marinepure, nor do I know for sure if aluminum effects milles, but it might be something worth checking.

I do have 2 of the large Marine Pure blocks in my sump. I'll have to get an ICP test and see if my aluminum levels are elevated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had similar and did one thing different for success:

I cut water flow to moderate and lighting to moderate(heavy on the blue) and once a week add Korallen Zucht additive....1-2-3-4 and continued water changes with a salinity of 1.05 and adding iodine and potassium 2X per week

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back