Can I add a third tang?

Drdrew99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 2 tangs. Have a 2 year old sailfin Tang which is about 5 inches. And a small (2 inch) blue hippo tang which I got about three months ago.
I also have a large foxface, coral beauty, flame angel, and various other smaller stuff.
I would like to get another tang. A Kole or Tomini. Will try to get a size between the two other tangs.

200 gallon mixed reef tank. Clip nori seaweed on daily. Lots of hiding and grazing spots in the tank.

Would like to hear anyone’s thoughts on compatibility issues?
I’m thinking I will be OK after reading the post on tang aggression. Or is that wishful thinking on my part?!
Thanks in advance for the help.

Video (may be) attached

Attachments

• IMG_7488.mov
    28.8 MB
  • IMG_7489.mov
    32.7 MB

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three. Standard bickering goes on with the occasional superficial slashing wounds. It will happen but for the most part, they have figured out the pecking order. I have a 125 gal so I think that you have plenty of room. My 2c.

GooseCommander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that size tank you should be ok. Might want to think about adding 2-3 fish at once to minimize targeted aggression at one newbie. The tangs you want to add are also different body types from your others so that will also help drop aggression.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, a hippo, and a bristle tooth in a 220. 0 issues. I think you can add a third. At most I would maybe do an acclimation box? (Build out of egg crate to do it on the cheap) and just let the other 2 adjust to the new guy for a week or so.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I love my 2 tangs. Have a 2 year old sailfin Tang which is about 5 inches. And a small (2 inch) blue hippo tang which I got about three months ago.
I also have a large foxface, coral beauty, flame angel, and various other smaller stuff.
I would like to get another tang. A Kole or Tomini. Will try to get a size between the two other tangs.

200 gallon mixed reef tank. Clip nori seaweed on daily. Lots of hiding and grazing spots in the tank.

I’m thinking I will be OK after reading the post on tang aggression. Or is that wishful thinking on my part?!

Video (may be) attached
Tomini would be great addition. Mint is peaceful and colorful I

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Tomini or white tail bristletooth. Both are really pretty and fairly peaceful. You might also consider a Kole. All three stay relatively small (for tangs anyway).

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video (may be) attached
Bristletooth’s are great fish true utilitarian’s and typically hardy. Kole’s get my vote they’re just chill and I don’t see a problem with your current livestock other then the normal territorial fin raising and flashing. I’ve had tomini’s, chevrons, twinspots, white tailed kole, and lavender as far bristletooth’s go yellow eyed koles by far the most adaptable and definitely work the hardest day in and day out. I always have one for this reason. If you have the ability to qt I would just to be safe! Good luck. My latest is housed with my old purple of 9 years, yellow tang, wrasses, filefish, anthias, basslet, and marine betta in my 50 gallon.
3AAC3C89-5863-476C-9570-CDDCEBE9A177.jpeg

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs often beat up a new arrival. I would suggest a decent quarantine to get the new fish fattened up and ready to withstand some harassment. If you can rig up an acclimatization box, that would help. I do it but the fish ignore the new fish until they can get at it. I have found placing mirrors on the tank helps. It distracts the established tangs when they see multiple new enemies.

I think it will work. Your new tang is another genus and your established tangs are not supposed to be terribly aggressive and your tank is a good size.

OP
OP
D

Drdrew99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth’s are great fish true utilitarian’s and typically hardy. Kole’s get my vote they’re just chill and I don’t see a problem with your current livestock other then the normal territorial fin raising and flashing. I’ve had tomini’s, chevrons, twinspots, white tailed kole, and lavender as far bristletooth’s go yellow eyed koles by far the most adaptable and definitely work the hardest day in and day out. I always have one for this reason. If you have the ability to qt I would just to be safe! Good luck. My latest is housed with my old purple of 9 years, yellow tang, wrasses, filefish, anthias, basslet, and marine betta in my 50 gallon.
3AAC3C89-5863-476C-9570-CDDCEBE9A177.jpeg
Thanks for the advice. And that is a beautiful tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back