Can I add at all?

armyvetheather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two clowns that are breeding age. The female is approx 5 inches and I hate to remove them so I'm wondering if there's anyway to add more without the two I have killing them? I've seen mixed answers on other forums. If I can't add from another clutch, can I keep some of their babies without death? TIA.

20231128_173401.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably have a number of mixed answers coming up- all based on anecdotal evidence and personal experience. Can it be done? Definetly. Does evidence show very mixed results? Yup!

My personal experience is that you should avoid adding any more clown fish in to your tank! :)

How big a tank do you have?

May I suggest just to focus on other nice community fish to complement your clowns?

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add, those big breeding females can be highly aggressive. I had one about 5" and she would attack if you put your hand in the tank. She would go for the webbing between your fingers and latch on and shake. So her glass stayed pretty dirty...but she did crank out a huge batch of eggs every 17th day at 3.30 in the afternoon. You could set your watch by that pair. But there was no way I was keeping anything with them. On the other end of the spectrum I currently have a pair of onyx Picasso percs that squabble amongst themselves but completely ignore all of the other fish in the tank.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding pair will be territorial and aggressive too other fish . I wouldn’t add any thing else

OP
OP
armyvetheather

armyvetheather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably have a number of mixed answers coming up- all based on anecdotal evidence and personal experience. Can it be done? Definetly. Does evidence show very mixed results? Yup!

My personal experience is that you should avoid adding any more clown fish in to your tank! :)

How big a tank do you have?

May I suggest just to focus on other nice community fish to complement your clowns?
It's a 90g tank. I just got it but I've been given a list of fish not to buy... But it's not all inclusive. Here is the list she gave me..

Proven tank mates with current live stock compatibility

- powder blue or brown tang
- yellow tang
- hippo tang
- bi color angel fish
- tommy tang
- file fish
- watchman Goby + pistol shrimp pair
- diamond back goby
- ruby red dragonet
- mandarin dragonet
(Other names; psychedelic, green, blue, picturesque)
-Any kind/variation of fire fish
- pygmy angel

Not recommended;
To/ag= is too aggressive for community.

-small ornamental shrimp, pepermint shrimp aka will be eaten if it fits in clowns mouth.
- coral beauty angel fish to/ag + not coral safe
- flame angel (not coral safe)
- lion fish to/ag
- any tang over 8 inch
- frog fish to/ag
- GREEN SERPANT STAR to/ag
- grouper to/ag
- trigger fish to/ag
* i do not recommend CHROMIS- they need a big school, dumb, die easy, jump out,
- cow fish to/ag
- box fish to/ag
- puffer to/ag
* SOME dotty back, depends on the petsonality

I just copied from her message. Based on this list I'd love some recommendations. Thanks

OP
OP
armyvetheather

armyvetheather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to say that I've successfully added several fish. It was a little dicey at first with my Midas Blenny, but all seem to be doing well. Thanks for the advice!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back