Can I add Hermit Crabs from the beach to my aquarium

itachi86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 hermit crabs from the beach here in South FL, the hermit crabs are kind of big. Can they eat my fish? My aquarium is new and my fish are little still
Couple clowns and other little fish like that

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they land hermit crabs or ones that can permanently stay underwater?

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large could be thin stripe, orange claw, and the giant with the great big claw

Blue leg and red leg are small

I would be concerned with is the giant eating sleeping fish.

The thin stripe, orange claw reef safe with caution, I would not keep them with a clam

Blue leg are good scavengers and don’t usually cause issues

They are opportunistic feeders and if a fish is ill or dies, it would be easy to think the hermit crab killed it.

You can find spots that are loaded with hermits FWC has regulations

OP
OP
I

itachi86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The thin stripe, orange claw reef safe with caution, I would not keep them with a clam

They are opportunistic feeders and if a fish is ill or dies, it would be easy to think the hermit crab killed it.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 170

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida also and have added them in the past. They did fine for at least 3-4 months. They were returned to the sea at that time due to noise. It sounds dumb but they were large enough I could hear them when they were close to the glass and it annoyed me.

OP
OP
I

itachi86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida also and have added them in the past. They did fine for at least 3-4 months. They were returned to the sea at that time due to noise. It sounds dumb but they were large enough I could hear them when they were close to the glass and it annoyed me.
Yeah this one does that and I can hear it in the container I have it now

OP
OP
I

itachi86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I honestly don't see anything blue nor orange

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It most likely wont eat your fish, snails yes and will knock stuff over. There’s much better suited hermits a blue leg hunt may be in order

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, thanks to everyone. Doesn't sound like something I want long term in my tank. I will be returning them back to where I found them.
IN the future, taking wildlife and then returning them to the wild could expose them to algae, virus, etc from the aquarium trade or other non-native pathogens that are not found in Florida yet.

Don't be that person who "releases wildlife" back into the wild and inadvertently causes an introduction of non-native pathogenic organisms into the Carribean (I think it already has many negative aquarium introductions, including Lionfish).

The RULE: If you take it out of the wild and put it in your tank, it needs to be properly buried to avoid introductions. Don't return stuff "to the wild", a few dead crabs are better than risking introductions from exposure to aquarium trade waters.

The Sea World Parks have pods of Orca's in captivity that will never be released because they have been exposed to captivity, antibiotics, human interaction, and whale shows. The last thing we need in the wild is Orca's jumping over boats trying to get a sardine treat. :)

Thank you.
theme park news GIF
:cool:

OP
OP
I

itachi86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN the future, taking wildlife and then returning them to the wild could expose them to algae, virus, etc from the aquarium trade or other non-native pathogens that are not found in Florida yet.

Don't be that person who "releases wildlife" back into the wild and inadvertently causes an introduction of non-native pathogenic organisms into the Carribean (I think it already has many negative aquarium introductions, including Lionfish).

The RULE: If you take it out of the wild and put it in your tank, it needs to be properly buried to avoid introductions. Don't return stuff "to the wild", a few dead crabs are better than risking introductions from exposure to aquarium trade waters.

The Sea World Parks have pods of Orca's in captivity that will never be released because they have been exposed to captivity, antibiotics, human interaction, and whale shows. The last thing we need in the wild is Orca's jumping over boats trying to get a sardine treat. :)

Thank you.
theme park news GIF
:cool:
I have not gone returned them yet. I will leave them in my sump in the refugium or something.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back