Can I add Hermit Crabs from the beach to my aquarium

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN the future, taking wildlife and then returning them to the wild could expose them to algae, virus, etc from the aquarium trade or other non-native pathogens that are not found in Florida yet.

Don't be that person who "releases wildlife" back into the wild and inadvertently causes an introduction of non-native pathogenic organisms into the Carribean (I think it already has many negative aquarium introductions, including Lionfish).

The RULE: If you take it out of the wild and put it in your tank, it needs to be properly buried to avoid introductions. Don't return stuff "to the wild", a few dead crabs are better than risking introductions from exposure to aquarium trade waters.

The Sea World Parks have pods of Orca's in captivity that will never be released because they have been exposed to captivity, antibiotics, human interaction, and whale shows. The last thing we need in the wild is Orca's jumping over boats trying to get a sardine treat. :)

Thank you.
theme park news GIF
:cool:
Probably unfortunate that my pools and aquariums waste water drains back into the ocean then.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not gone returned them yet. I will leave them in my sump in the refugium or something.
Thank you.
Black And White Wow GIF by Laff

A long time ago I had an aquarium crash and thought about storing the live rock in a local lagoon for later use. I decided against that and moved away for a few years. When we came back I was working in an office with a biologist who was leading a project to remove caulerpa from the same lagoon. Someone else had had the same idea or had disposed of something from their aquarium into the lagoon, or maybe just dumped it into a storm drain that flowed into the lagoon?

I don't know, but they spent a lot of tax payer money to get rid of the invasion and I was very glad I had not dumped anything there. If I had, I would have assumed that I was the sorce, and I don't want to be that person. IF a person doesn't care how they impact the environment I can't change them. If a person doesn't know then would feel bad if I didn't warn them, well at least bring a thing to their attention.

Thanks @itachi86 for asking good questions and being careful for the sake of biome we enjoy. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
I

itachi86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Black And White Wow GIF by Laff

A long time ago I had an aquarium crash and thought about storing the live rock in a local lagoon for later use. I decided against that and moved away for a few years. When we came back I was working in an office with a biologist who was leading a project to remove caulerpa from the same lagoon. Someone else had had the same idea or had disposed of something from their aquarium into the lagoon, or maybe just dumped it into a storm drain that flowed into the lagoon?

I don't know, but they spent a lot of tax payer money to get rid of the invasion and I was very glad I had not dumped anything there. If I had, I would have assumed that I was the sorce, and I don't want to be that person. IF a person doesn't care how they impact the environment I can't change them. If a person doesn't know then would feel bad if I didn't warn them, well at least bring a thing to their attention.

Thanks @itachi86 for asking good questions and being careful for the sake of biome we enjoy. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Yeah to be honest I had not thought about that and it kind of makes sense.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah to be honest I had not thought about that and it kind of makes sense.
I didn’t always think about the seriousness of the possibilities and discounted the impact that I might cause. My intentions were not intentionally destructive so I didn’t think too much about the ramifications that might arise.

I think that I am fairly typical in that way. Trying to work out all the possible outcomes of our actions is not possible so we have to help each other when we can.

I know that I can always benefit from this kind of help when I’m not aware of whatever I am missing.

Excited Water Sports GIF

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida also and have added them in the past. They did fine for at least 3-4 months. They were returned to the sea at that time due to noise. It sounds dumb but they were large enough I could hear them when they were close to the glass and it annoyed me.
Really I love the sound my hermits make crawling around! But I really like hermits, always wanted a land one as a kid but getting into saltwater Im very content with them!

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN the future, taking wildlife and then returning them to the wild could expose them to algae, virus, etc from the aquarium trade or other non-native pathogens that are not found in Florida yet.

Don't be that person who "releases wildlife" back into the wild and inadvertently causes an introduction of non-native pathogenic organisms into the Carribean (I think it already has many negative aquarium introductions, including Lionfish).

The RULE: If you take it out of the wild and put it in your tank, it needs to be properly buried to avoid introductions. Don't return stuff "to the wild", a few dead crabs are better than risking introductions from exposure to aquarium trade waters.

The Sea World Parks have pods of Orca's in captivity that will never be released because they have been exposed to captivity, antibiotics, human interaction, and whale shows. The last thing we need in the wild is Orca's jumping over boats trying to get a sardine treat. :)

Thank you.
theme park news GIF
:cool:
I’m so glad you said this.. people don’t realise that we put stuff from around the world into our tanks. Putting ocean animals back into the ocean is not an option. I can understand that people may think of the ocean as one big body of water but even still there are separate environments.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back