Can I add these

Joe Pulliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally probably posted this in the wrong forum but oh well.

Hey guys so my tank is now about a month old, the ammonia is gone and I'm left with a very small amount of nitrates. My buddy is getting rid of a peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp and a very small coral frag and he told me he'd give them to me. Is it okay to add these or will I just kill them since my tank is so new? Thanks for the help.

boosted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on a week and nitrates r still high how long did it take 4 that part of the cycle

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nirates may irritate them, but is a normal flux of a reef system. Anything over 20 will stress them and will require you to do a water change or control it quickly. If they are minimal it shouldnt harm them. Only one way to find out...

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on a week and nitrates r still high how long did it take 4 that part of the cycle

Well that depends on what is your control. Water changes?? Pond martix?? Biological or chemical??
You will always need to control nitates in your system. I use bacterial (biologic) using pond matrix to harbor nitrifing bacteria to control my nitrates.

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always place them in a bare tank with good water and feed very sparingly changing water frequently until the tank has finished cycling. I'm surprised at how quickly many members are able to cycle their tanks. Years back it was accepted that it took around six weeks but we have access to live rock, sumps, and reactors that can shorten the time. You can always do a major water change in the tank and put the animals in right away, changing water as necessary. Just be aware that may delay the tank fully running in.

OP
OP
Joe Pulliam

Joe Pulliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just decided to quarantine them for a while. I can't get myself to just toss them in there and hope lol i felt guilty. My nitrates are at about 1.0 ppm. I'll wait a week.

OP
OP
Joe Pulliam

Joe Pulliam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank cycled really fast, Or got to this point fast. I had nitrite production in a little over a week. I'm just running a reef HOB filter with live rock in it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything in the the dt already, if not feeding new additions may cause ammonia to appear again. In this case try ghost feeding, a process where you basically feed as if there are a few inhabitants already and see if that affects the water chemistry. Once there is no ammonia that way then you are good to add them. If there is already livestock in the tank, the shrimp should be fine being added.

Back